no heat!!!!

firemedic

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well I stumbled acroass this forum while researching to build an offset reverse flow and was amazed by the UDS. It seemed too simple to be true but I got the stuff together and built one this am. The build really was that easy but I'm struggling with temps. It initially heated up to about 230 then dropped to 190. I have three 1/2" nipples and a 1/2" ball valve- all open, and four 1/2" holes drilled in the lid. I plugged three of the holes in the lid with foil and temps came up to 200 but it is holding steady. I am burning charcoal briquettes and pecan wood chunks that I started with the minion method. There wasn't much smoke after about 25 minutes so I dumped on a bit more wood which has increased the smoke but not the temp. Help! By the way this is my first time bbqing EVER (grilling doesn't count). Thanks,

geoff

Sounds like you don't have enough exhaust to create a good air flow for the charcoal to burn.

I agree^^^^^^
you need to double the amount of exhaust holes in your lid.

I'm not sure. That was my first thought but when I unplugged the vent holes my temp started dropping then climbed again when i replugged them. When I checked the coals earlier it didn't look like my original chimney had spread much to the 10 lbs or so I put in the barrel so I threw a little more wood and just added another half chimney to the pile. Temps are currently at 230, hopefully it holds. I unplugged the vents when I added more charcoal, too. Thanks for your help!!

N8, do you want more exhaust than intakes? I was under the impression they should be about the same but I'm brand new at this...

On my Drum, normally my air intake which is a 1" pipe, is opened about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch and my exhaust is a 2" diameter pipe threaded into the bung on the lid.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If my math is right that's about 400 percent more exhaust than intake.

It needs ro breath. The timp will drop whenyou open the lid and or holes but it will soon rise and spike.

You will always want more exhaust that intake. I run a 2'' ehxaust and two 3/4 '' inlets and she purs at 225. Another reason you are not seeing the coals burn away is the beauty of the UDS. Just add more exhaust and let it run.

Thanks to all of you that are replying. After my last post I went out and drilled four more 1/2" holes. Before drilling the temp was falling again. After drilling the temp spiked almost immediately to 250. I replaced two of the intake caps and left the valve open and it is holding at 232. This forum is awesome!!!

YIKES!!! temps kept going up! I capped the last nipple and closed the valve 1/2 way and still around 260. Think I might have to close a little more still, they aren't dropping but I'll give it a few.

Brethren Helping Brethren....:biggrin:
Now that your Drum's Breathing, Smoke Something!!!!
When you adjust your intakes for temp it will take a little while for it to level out.
Also, later into your cook, you'll need to shake your Drum a little
to knock some ashe loose from your charcoal basket, nothing too violent, just shake it or kick it a couple of times. I can get 16+ hours @225* off a 10lb. load of charcoal.

At this point you may have loaded too much lit fuel and left the lid off too long causing the temps to soar. Just relax, shut down a intake or two and they will settle down.

Now we need pictures. :)

Do as Nate says and shake that thing in a few hours. I usually put a small stone , screw, twig or something of the sort under the edge at the bottom of the drum so it shakes easier with a little rocking motion.

Well I have two thermometers in- the guage that's mounted to the side at cooking level and the digital cooking thermometer i have dropped in one of the exhaust ports. Both holding at 230 degrees! I wanted to do a shoulder today but the store didn't have any so I got a four pack of picnics and a chub of sausage. They are sizzling away as we speak!!! What temp do I want to let the chub get to and how often do you guys flip your meat? Pics to follow...

Wow how close is that digital thermo to the side of the drum? Most times there is a difference between the two by 25-50 deg.

I never flip.

I take sausages to 160* internal. I prefer picnics to shoulders. I think they taste better. Flipping isn't necessary in the Drum but some of us do it anyway. If you want to flip the picnics, do it after the first three hours and then every hour or so. Also Spritz them with Apple Juice. Good Stuff!!!

I had the same problem with 6 half inch holes. I drilled them out to 3/4 and now it works fine.

Jeff

I found best combo to be 3/4" nipples and 8 1/2" holes in lid. On a drum you can't peek and expect temps to be stable. Plus take my word for it, start fire in center close up, 1 cap off, full open valve. As temp comes up throttle back and shoot for 200 on dial gauge in side of drum.

Well firemedic ,

Welcome to the drumhead's, you have just built one of the best smoking devices available today. Soon you will master the fire control of this simple device and can concentrate on the larger objective learning great Q.

This place is the best at getting you up and runing and even better at sharing the knowledge you will need on the way.

when you get a chance stop by the cattle call forum and formally announce your arrival to the brethren.

I second that.

I found best combo to be 3/4" nipples and 8 1/2" holes in lid. On a drum you can't peek and expect temps to be stable. Plus take my word for it, start fire in center close up, 1 cap off, full open valve. As temp comes up throttle back and shoot for 200 on dial gauge in side of drum.

Norcoredneck,
how many of the 3/4 in nipples - some have 3 some have 4
(the assumtion is that at least one has a valve / air control device)

but I think 3 of them is the best balance , right?
since I only have one drum with 3 nipples, I'm not an authority on this

Back