2008 KCBS board of Directors Endorsments.

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Phil
We got a really great indorsment from Jerry Mullane, out KCBS REP. Heres a copy.

Jerry Mullane said:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:55 am
Subject: Happy Holidays - CBJ's

This letter is going out to both our new CBJ’s and former students. If you have completed a questionnaire prior, please do not fill out another one.
The questionnaire is at the bottom of this letter. Thank you and Happy Holidays

At our last CBJ Class I was asked by current members who I thought should be elected to the Board of Directors in the upcoming elections. After a lot of thinking and soul searching I have come to the following conclusions.
First let me say that the candidates I will vote for are strictly my choices and no one has asked me to write these endorsements.
I have no agenda other than to endorse two genuine BBQ candidates who I feel will have the most impact on our organization as a whole, as well as having the pleasure of knowing both of them for many years in my position as a Contest Rep, CBJ Instructor and in my personal life. The two Gentlemen are as
follows:

Phil
Rizzardi
Phil has been a long time friend since I first met him at a CBJ class I was conducting in Philadelphia. He and his teammates had traveled from Long Island, NY to become CBJ’s and learn more about what we look for as judges during BBQ competitions. He is Founder and head of the BBQ-Brethren, a 4100 member strong BBQ Group with firm beliefs in promoting Competition BBQ throughout the North East and Mid Atlantic regions as well as countrywide thru the many local and International BBQ-Brethren groups. 58 Countries and growing.

Phil is dedicated to our sport and has had a hand in many contests as a Promoter, Organizer and cook. He and his group have made the difference in making many of the East Coast contest grow from small, startup contest to well over 50+ team contests with their support and participation. He has volunteered to cook for our CBJ classes on a number of occasions as well as mentored many backyard cooks, bringing them into the Competition BBQ world.

Phil brings a strong diverse background in Information Technology as well
Corporate management, which I feel is a must for KCBS in the future. In order for us to move forward we need Board members like Phil who have a background in dealing with the daily problems an organization of our size produces as well as motivating us to resolve differences and move on to a more productive tomorrow.

Learn more about Phil at: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/kcbs.htm

John
Markus
I have known John for about 5 years. Originally from Ohio, now living in New York State.
We first met when he was filming a documentary about BBQ with Paul Kirk, The Baron of BBQ, and we have remained friends ever since.
John brings a unique talent to KCBS with his background in TV and films, first as an Emmy Award-winning TV writer and Supervising producer for the Bill Cosby Show winning an Emmy, a Peabody and two Humanities prizes, and then co-created the Cosby spin-off "A Different World".
John created
critically acclaimed "Lateline" with Al Franken, was consulting producer on "The Larry Sanders Show," co-writing the Emmy-nominated Ellen Degeneres episode,
"Ellen: Is She Or Isn't She?" and a playwright with "Sons of Liberty," a prototype for an NBC television series, produced at the American Place Theater and later as an Independent Filmmaker and Co Developer and Producer of the BBQ series, the BBQ All-stars Showdown.
Now what has all this got to do with John’s BBQ credentials?
John is a strong proponent of KCBS and competition bbq. As a competitor his team is Central Pork West, but he travels and competes with many different teams as a member cook. He has competed with Chris Lilly and Big Bob Gibsons Competition Team, as well as Paul Kirks’ Team in many competitions. And on November 11, 2007 was ordained a member of the "Order of the Magic Mop", by Remus Powers, aka Ardie Davis.
I believe John has the ability to bring Competition BBQ to the masses, stressing a level playing field for all competitors, new and old, displaying our sport with creativity and showing the challenges faced by our contemporizes. I feel his background is necessary for our organization to move forward and grow in this electronic age. John has the talent to face the challenges we will encounter in the coming years. His platform is to have an "Open" forum where you as a member will have a voice in the direction your organization will take and begin to fix the problems we have now. Learn more about John at:
http://www.votejm4kcbsboard.com/index.html

The reason I have endorsed these 2 gentlemen besides knowing them personally and agreeing with their views and ideals is we need more representation on the East Coast and both Phil and John can provide that extra resource we need in addition to Linda Mullane. The East Coast is the fastest growing area of BBQ, but with the least representation. KCBS has approximately
275 contests with
the East Coast hosting 54+ or
roughly 20% of all the KCBS contests for 2008. We need more members on the KCBS board who will help lead KCBS and at the same time be aware of the unique position the East Coast is in. More and more you see the Mid Atlantic and New England teams scoring high in the prestigious contests and more prize money is being offered on the East Coast each year. This is our time and I believe the only way to insure our position is to increase our representation on the KCBS Board. Keep in mind this is your organization and you should have a say.
This is your chance.
Although you have 4 votes I am suggesting you use only 2. Phil Rizzardi and John Markus. They can make a difference in East Coast BBQ and KCBS.
My final point about the 2 candidates above is they do not ask what’s in it for "them" but what can they contribute to serve us all. Their mantras, "It’s not me but we" and what can I do today to make our organization better tomorrow?

As I stated in the beginning of this email, I was asked at a recent CBJ class my opinion and this is it. I have 4 votes but will only cast 2 as not to equalize my voting power.
This is strictly my decision.
Vote with your head not your heart. Once again Thank you for your time and I hope we see each other this coming season New CBJ Questionaire
Jerry Mullane (Jersey)
KCBS CBJ Instructor

Great post by Jerry. Agree fully.

As an addition I just want to echo what Jerry said. The northeast is a great untested smoker community. We are groing and as such really need to have a voice in the future of the KCBS as well as future comp's. Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice endorsement from Jerry Mullane. I did not get his e-mail though. I used to get others from him on occasion.

John Markus is a great guy too. I got John's postcard yesterday. I thought it was a nice touch and regardless of cost, I think it shows a sincere interest.

I think both will make excellent BOD choices.

Jerry made a good point about # of votes per member. While you are allowed four votes (of the dozen or so candidates). You are not required to use all four as it make equalize votes, but in the end vote for those who you truly believe will make a difference and be a voice for the general membership they are supposed to represent.

Ya, we deffinitely need someone to get or foot in the door and them open it wide. We have some kickass Q in or area and we need to show it off!!

If your not smokinit your not cookin
Lang 84 Deluxe Longneck Chargrill
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Chubby
Backwoods Dealer
KCBS Certified Judge

Great write up on two of the canidates!

Didnt know much about John Markus until now. If he is good friends will Phil and Vinny, nuff said.

Thanks for sharing this with us Phil.

Can somebody remind us here to vote when the polls open?
Family Chritmas get together for us here.

Thanks in advance.

I just received a slick, color mailer from John Markus today. That must have cost a shiny dime or two...

Great write up on two of the canidates!

Didnt know much about John Markus until now. If he is good friends will Phil and Vinny, nuff said.

Thanks for sharing this with us Phil.

Family Chritmas get together for us here.

Thanks in advance.
I agree, that was a great write up.

Thanks Bull, I'm going to need a reminder as well!

I disagree with Jerry suggesting we vote for only 2 candidates. I do understand the need for more representation in our area. If that is the case then i would have to add Clint Cantwell(SmokeInDaEye) as well.

Merl Whitebrook posted the election timelines and process here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35520

KCBS Board of Directors Vote begins January 2.

On January 2, 2008 the vote for KCBS Board of Directors will begin. Each KCBS member in good standing with a valid e-mail address, will receive by e-mail a link to the electronic election site, along with a user name and password.

On January 1, 2008 the KCBS website will have further instructions, in the event you do not receive a user name and password. We hope that each member will have reviewed the election questionnaire answered by each candidate. You can access these when you vote, by clicking on each candidates name, and you see their picture and their answers to important matters concerning KCBS.

You may request a paper ballot by clicking the link on the electronic election site, or e-mail vote@KCBS.US or by contacting the KCBS office if you do not have internet access.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me. Thank you for taking the time exercise you vote.
Yours in Q
Merl Whitebook
KCBS Board of Directors
Nominations Chairperson
mwhitebook@kcbs.us

I noticed in the Bullsheet Mr. Markus has the problems figured out and as soon as he gets those judges straitened out all will be well.
Apparently he didn't want any votes from judges just cooks.
ModelMaker

Back