Hi All, Newbie here, but hoping i can get some help from the PBC community.

I recent got a PBJ (new one, not a recalled one) and have been trying to dial things in but have had it running much hotter than expected ~~350+

I've been trying to run it based on the instructions to a T but continue to have it be hot!

SO here is what i tried and got cooking now with still hot temps

Vent: closed completley (or as much as it will) I'm at sea level
Started with 10 briqs with ~12 burn time in chimney
Dumped, lid on immediately and placed food on very quickly, minimizing open time....

Temps continue to rise and rise and after ~45 mins temps were at 380!

I have eventually throttled the vent with foil to bring the temps down but wondering whats going on? I know its supposed to be a set and forget and not monitor, but after a few cooks of things getting roasted i decided to monitor. Im just looking to get it to the factory estimated temps of 270-310

Any advice on ways to bring temps down? Any other PBJ folks out there having same problem? I hope not to throttle or fiddle with the vent everytime

Thanks!

Once it gets over heated, harder to cool it down. I’d say either close the vent a little or less time after lighting the 10 briquettes. If you’re waiting 12, cut it down to 10.

Are you letting it settle in for 10:min with the lid on before you add the food?

Once it gets over heated, harder to cool it down. I’d say either close the vent a little or less time after lighting the 10 briquettes. If you’re waiting 12, cut it down to 10.

Are you letting it settle in for 10:min with the lid on before you add the food?

I cant close the vent any more, The damper is slightly offset so it doesnt allow for complete closure... i've seen this on a few other pictures and apparently its normal? Only other thing i can use which im doing now is a small piece of foil

I will add cutting the chimney burn time to my list of things to try.

I havent tried letting settle for 10 min as the instructions say to "start cooking immediately" -- I suppose i can try doing this as well.

Just seems something isnt right especially when following the instructions..?

Anything else? Any Other PBJ owners out there?

I don't own the jr and I'm also fairly new to the PBC but If I run lump temp are pretty hi but with briq. it stays in the 300* range

I would try starting with less briquettes in the chimney. Definitely let the PBC settle after dumping the coals in. Temps will settle in and pretty much cruise there until the coals are done. Removing the lid will cause temp fluctuations so keep the peeking to a minimum.

I would also add to email Pit Barrel with your question. Their customer service is excellent and they might have another hint to help you settle temps down.

Hi all, Newbie here but hoping for some help.

Just received my PBJ a few weeks ago and been trying to get the hang out it.

First couple of cooks followed the directions to a T but everything seemed to be running so hot!

Here's where i am with my latest cook on right now:

Vent: Essentially closed (as much as it will)--I'm at sea level
Starting briqs: 10... with 12 minute heat up/burn time in chimney
Lid right on after dumping, and Quickly throwing food on. Not leaving lid open too much

Temps rise and rise and after an 45mins , temps at 380!

I know its supposed to be a set and forget but its roasting all my Meat so fast!!

Any suggestions on how to bring the temps down to the estimated temps PBC says it operates at ~270-310?

It runs hot until it gets crudded up.

I'm too anal about temps. Why I'll never be a real pitmaster. But since I had a Thermoworks Signals I bought the Billows for my PBC. And it works really well. I use Royal Oak lump or the briquettes and it'll hold +-10* all day long

I cant close the vent any more, The damper is slightly offset so it doesnt allow for complete closure... i've seen this on a few other pictures and apparently its normal? Only other thing i can use which im doing now is a small piece of foil

I will add cutting the chimney burn time to my list of things to try.

I havent tried letting settle for 10 min as the instructions say to "start cooking immediately" -- I suppose i can try doing this as well.

Just seems something isnt right especially when following the instructions..?

Anything else? Any Other PBJ owners out there?

Try starting with less lit coals

Just stopping by after a few months to say the PBC continues to do me right. Here are a couple of butts from a couple of weeks back and a brisket from yesterday. Hope every one is well, safe, a cooking!

Attachments

• D6B165BA-B564-4DE8-AC0A-BF98D4E66DAE.jpg
    D6B165BA-B564-4DE8-AC0A-BF98D4E66DAE.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 259
  • 685A3582-07D4-434A-AE6B-C03DE69D5CC2.jpg
    685A3582-07D4-434A-AE6B-C03DE69D5CC2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 257
Looks really great! I've got a rack of ribs on the PBC right now and looking forward to chowing down soon.

Been too long since I’ve read through here. Did chicken and Ribs this Friday. They were great. I’ve stopped measuring the PBC temp. It always gets the job done.
6d7ab08ff6b8a916f038c281838c1469.jpg

1cdf31ff3ac5185997d52dbacc2d5833.jpg

816713a1d64cd6e31966aed29db3cce6.jpg

32b5a55291b249e09c4643bf7a059d05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow great news. I wonder if they'll keep Barrel House around or just use their facility and workforce to expand PBC and shutter BH

Hi All, Newbie here, but hoping i can get some help from the PBC community.

I recent got a PBJ (new one, not a recalled one) and have been trying to dial things in but have had it running much hotter than expected ~~350+

I've been trying to run it based on the instructions to a T but continue to have it be hot!

SO here is what i tried and got cooking now with still hot temps

Vent: closed completley (or as much as it will) I'm at sea level
Started with 10 briqs with ~12 burn time in chimney
Dumped, lid on immediately and placed food on very quickly, minimizing open time....

Temps continue to rise and rise and after ~45 mins temps were at 380!

I have eventually throttled the vent with foil to bring the temps down but wondering whats going on? I know its supposed to be a set and forget and not monitor, but after a few cooks of things getting roasted i decided to monitor. Im just looking to get it to the factory estimated temps of 270-310

Any advice on ways to bring temps down? Any other PBJ folks out there having same problem? I hope not to throttle or fiddle with the vent everytime

Thanks!

Hi guys, a follow up on my high temp PBJ...

i've tried a couple more cooks, following some advice from the thread..Less briqs to start (~10) and giving the cooker some time to settle (~10mins) before putting food on. No peeking and quickly putting food on.

I even tried throttling the vent fully closed+some foil to close it an additional ~1/2 way

Unfortunately, implementing the above i'm still having similar issues.. cooker's temps continue to runaway up past 350 and stay up there.

Everyone i've messaged or read says their cooker runs consistent at around 275-300, but i cant seem to get mine to run there.

Any final suggestions? Is there anything i should check that could indicate a defect? (note this is a newer PBJ, not a recall one)

I really dont want to have to block off the vent or the rod holes etc as that seems like it defeats the purpose of a "simple cooker"

Back