MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
bearnakedbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pop-up tent or booths ?

Not sure what they are called. Wife picked up a pop-up style tent that I used but it seemed kind of cheap. So what are you using for your comps when it comes to tents/booths?

I guess most come as 10x10 but eBay has a few of them 10x20. Is this too big?

Troy
bearnakedbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

We had one of the 10 x 20 cheap chinese knockoff tents last year, you pretty much get what you pay for. Was bent pretty much at the first contest and made it through a few more, but if you're going to be in any kind of wind (Kansas / Missouri def has wind) they'll not last long. Now we've got a 10 x 10 ez up when we want to put one up

Old 11-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We use 10X10 Caravan canopies. You can go cheaper if all you need is sun shade, but as stated above, if there's any kind of weather they'll become disposable.

I'd love one of the nicer 10X20s I've seen, but they're spendy, and one-person setup might be a pain.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
dgassaway
Full Fledged Farker

I've got 3 of the Caravan 10x10's and they work well.

If you get the 10x10 Caravan I would order the steel leg one from Costco.com, not the lighter aluminum leg model found in some of the stores. They are more durable and don't weigh a whole lot more.
1 Weber 22.5 with Rib-O-Lator & [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Navy][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermopen[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]
____________[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2][COLOR=midnightblue][FONT=Verdana]

PNWBA Board Member | CBJ #200356[/FONT]
Smokin' HOT Grillfriends | Wellseasoned & The CanadaQ Crew BBQ Team
Event Organizer: Big Red Barn Burner | Cloverdale Cowboy Cook-off | BBQ on the By Pass[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
dgassaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

10x10 Caravans here...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
MattCom
Take a breath!

Dicks Sportinggoods has their own brand Quest (Chinese import), but they offer "no questions asked" insurance for $9 for first yr .For the 12'x12' and the ins. it was under $90. 2 yrs in and it hasn't broken yet.

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
Smokin' Aces
On the road to being a farker

10x 20 nylon type material carport
Smokin' Aces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
PhilB

Does anyone out here in the PNW have something like that setup at home for the winter? I want to get some sort of canopy so I can Q in the winter and not have the rain mess up my temperatures and my experience.

Phil
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

We use 10X10 First Up Tents from Wal-Mart. They are $74.00.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Up-1...Gazebo/8571900

We have used ours for a few years now. They are not a nice as a EZ-Up but they are good.
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I have bought the 10x10 ez up from Sam's and it is nice and solid.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

We went cheap on our first canopy and it lasted all of one comp before it got bent up. We did manage to keep it together for a while with small 'C-Clamps', but it was a pain.

Picked up the steel King's Canopy (10x10) from Costco for about $299 (sides included) and it's still strong after close to 20 comps and Lord knows how many catering gigs!

I should also add that our first one was a 12x12. It was a real pain between the trailer, the 12x12, and the Lang in a 20' by 20' site. I'd stick with the 10x10.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
WhiskeyBentBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

We use the 10 x 20 carport with heavy tarp top. It takes two people to set up and about 30 minutes but it is well worth it when those strong Florida thunderstorms move in. You can but the tarp, bands and angles on EBay and then buy pipe from the local hardware store and cut it to the heights that you want.

After going through 4 middle to cheaper grade pop-ups, we really like this set up.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
E Mellow

We did the "value" route of pop up tents when we first started and by the time your going through1 or 2 a season you may as well buck up and get a good one that lasts longer. With that being said we use...

10x10 caravan, easily available at costco as stated be a previous poster it is a great tent, not to mentions sides are included and basically any part can be ordered for replacement. EASY for 1 person to handle.

We also use a king canopy 10x20 you can pick up through king or cabelas. Heavier weight holds its own great in the wind. If you have experience with these types of tents one man can put them up.
E Mellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

To answer your other question, 10x20 is not too big. We normally use 10x20 at a contest, either with our big 10x20 EZ-Up, or two 10x10 tents. 20 x 20 is generally the smallest contest space, so plenty of room for a 10x20 covered area and smokers.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #15
BossHawg
Found some matches.

Default Pop ups

I use a steel pop up made by Celina Tents 419-586-3610 ask for Jason Kenny. They can handle all the graphics and any size you may need. If you don't secure the pop up even a good one the wind can tear it up. I suggest that you get two sandbags for each leg, if that don't hold it you shouldn't be out there.