MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default What really ticks me off about Kansas City...

OK so all week last week, we saw ads for the American Royal BBQ on TV and heard them on the radio. Then you get live broadcasts from the Royal with reporters hanging out with the big crowds of drunken partiers and telling everyone within range of their signal how great the Royal is. Then... NOTHING! Two teams from the farking Kansas City area win both contests and I failed to see anyone reporting that. Nothing at all against non-KC teams but come on! These huge contests that featured outstanding competition from all over the United States and beyond goes off here in town and one team from Blue Springs and another from Lee's Summit win them all and no mention of that on the local news. But boy, those parties and smells coming from the West Bottoms sure were newsworthy...
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
Plowboy

We are working on that, Jeff.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Jeff_in_KC

I would have thought they'd be onhand with their cameras rolling at the awards. I just think it would have been nice to get a chance to let all of your families and friends see you on TV Saturday and Sunday nights.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
I would have thought they'd be onhand with their cameras rolling at the awards. I just think it would have been nice to get a chance to let all of your families and friends see you on TV Saturday and Sunday nights.
Nah! You gotta wear a t-shirt like this, or something similar, to get that kind of coverage.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Jeff you make a great point! The sad part is the MC for the awards was Brad Stevens on the CBS affiliate http://www.kctv5.com out of Kansas City. No knock on him personally I thought he did a great job, but the network he works for is pathetic! KC media step up and support the Royal and realize you have a contest in Kansas City that is the biggest in the world!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

Glad I don't live there anymore.
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just a crazy thought.... But maybe the Royal folks have burnt some bridges? Not that I could see that happening. But it is a possibility....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

I know when the STL Cardinals win their next World Series this year that news reports will go on weeks after the last pitch has been made. You Make a great point..

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #9
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

That is B.S. !!!. what the hell ??? Local boys did great.. needs to be reported..
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
rweller
Full Fledged Farker

I got back to my Hotel room in time for the 10 o clock news Saturday night and I don't know what station I was watching but the did talk about the Royal and Did Mention that Pork Pullin Plowboys was the Grand Champion of the Invitational.

They probably should have done interviews of both terams that won.

Great Job Todd, I was going to stop and say Hi and congratulations but you were pretty busy.
Great job to you also Boondoggle.

I had a list of teams I wanted to meet and didn't get to as many as I wanted. Maybe next time.
rweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmont View Post
I know when the STL Cardinals win their next World Series this year that news reports will go on weeks after the last pitch has been made. You Make a great point..
I like the way you think!

~Ryan (a die-hard Cardinals fan)
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #12
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Maybe next year.... Again for us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
I like the way you think!

~Ryan (a die-hard Cardinals fan)

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #13
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

From looking at the KC Star it seemed the site was flush with other events. Between college football with K-State at Arrowhead, the Chiefs, Nascar and dare I mention the Royals, the Royal didnt get the attention it deserved.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #14
bigabyte

At first from the thread title I was thinking this was going to be about the Chiefs (I'm so miffed), but you make a good point. I never heard anything. It was a very, very busy weekend in KC though, so it may have just got lost in all the other noise.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #15
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Is is perhaps that people just don't get it? What I mean is that I am wondering if people get an idea of the party side of things, but don't quite grasp what the competition is all about, and how big it is and it is getting. To a certain extent I have found that you really have to experience a bbq competition i.e. turn-ins, awards ceremony etc., to understand what it is all about and appreciate the grand-scale of the event. I have many family and friends who have been to competitions and many who have not. When I post on our website or Facebook how we did a given weekend, I always get an ethusiastic response from the family and friends who have been there, and a less than enthusiastic response if at all from those who have not. Could it be that something similar is happening from the editors and producers who decide what news they post through their media?
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote