Easy Solution to High Cost Sausage

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Went to my favorite market for Italian Sausage and it was up to $4.29 lb. Having been out of work for almost 15 months now I've learned a few a tricks here and there to stretch my dollars so I figured it was time to improvise. They had their breakfast sausage on sale for $1.69 lb. so I bought two pounds and went home to spice things up. Added Italian Seasonings, Garlic, fresh ground black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and lots of fennel seed. In just a few short minutes I had two pounds of very good Italian Sausage for a pizza and a fatty for less than half the money.

Last edited:
Excellent thinking Neil! How did the sage in the regular sausage work with the Italian seasonings? Awesome looking pizza too.:thumb:

That is one fine looking pizza:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Nice work and beautiful pie. This would work well for me because I can't get enough fennel.

Very nice work on the snausage Neil! And that pizza looks fantastic.
I'm with SJ too...can't get enough fennel.

Excellent thinking Neil! How did the sage in the regular sausage work with the Italian seasonings? Awesome looking pizza too.:thumb:

exactly what I was thinking, the sage can be over powering, or is it...

Neil, my friend, that is one of the finest looking pizzas that I have ever seen. I love the Italian sausage but the wife prefers reg. I would hit yours in a heartbeat. Can you give us an idea of amounts of the spices? Did you precook the sausage? What kind of dough did you use? I want details man!! :thumb::cool:

Yeah, I'm all over that pizza. I need to take that ferry over the lake some time!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Now to try and answer your questions:

How did the sage in the regular sausage work with the Italian seasonings? The sage was not overpowering at all but then I love sage, not as much as rosemary and thyme, but better than parsley, oregano, and marjorum. :biggrin:

Can you give us an idea of amounts of the spices? Did you precook the sausage? What kind of dough did you use? I want details man!!

Sorry all I can do is give you a guesstimate since I seldom actually measure things out. There was 2lbs. of breakfast sausage and to that I covered the top as it sat in the bowl with fresh coarse ground black pepper. I added approximately 3 Tblsps. of granulated garlic, 4 Tblsps of Italian Seasonings, 2 tsps. of crushed red pepper, and a handfull of fennel seed (6-8 Tblsps.) Mixed thoroughly with my hands then rolled into a log. As for the sausage on the pizza, I just pinched off raw sausage from the roll and tossed it ontop of the cheese. I elevate a Lodge cast iron round griddle above the kettle grate topped with a baking stone and try to get the fire in the 600* + range. Pizza takes 10-12 minutes to cook.

Yeah, I'm all over that pizza. I need to take that ferry over the lake some time!

Take I-94, only 3 1/2 hours and much cheaper even with gas at $2.85/gal. Ferry goes to Luddington then you would have another 2 1/2 hour drive south.:biggrin:

Thanks for the directions, what time is the next cook so I can plan travel time and check the ferry schedule

:idea:Hurm... Great idea!

Wonder if it would be even cheaper to just buy plain ground pork and add your own spices?

Back