WSM Question "How do they cook when Fully Loaded"

CrackerJack from KC

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I have never had a smoker completely filled with meat. I always cook one or two things at a time. In 2 weeks I will be cooking 175 pounds of Brisket and Pork Butts on 3 WSMs for a church function.

My question is when the smokers are fully loaded do they cook significantly different? Should I not use water in the water pan. (I usually use my flower pot mod).

My concern here is that I am budgeting 10-14 hours to cook the food, but that is based on my experience with the smokers half empty. I am trying to avoid having to frantically foil everything to speed up the cooking process.

Any way to do a practice run? Load one full with cheapest meat and get a feel for it. Another option is experiment with higher temps than you normally cook with on a smaller load.

that being said, i've frequently foiled and finished in oven with some extra fluid (meat drippings, beer, Dr Pepper, apple juice) to get the meat to come out on a schedule.)

I've had one filled to the brim and didn't notice a discernable difference enough to be concerned about. Bottom rack above the water pan will cook a little slower, but don't remove the pan. Multiple by 3 and I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe cook slightly hotter than you're accustomed to if you're still worried.

As long as the meat isn't restricting the airflow you shouldn't notice a significant difference. You may use a little more fuel to maintain temps since more heat energy will be going into cooking the meat. Somewhere around here there is a picture of 6 butts on an 18.5" WSM, three per shelf in a teepee-like arrangement.

I have done big cooks like that for my church too.
Budget more time than you think you will need, as you can foil the meat and hold it in a cooler until you are ready to eat. I did 6 butts on each of my WSMs, with water in the pans. If I recall, (mind you I'm getting old) it took about 16 hours at 250 to get everything done.
Also, have some helping hands around to assist with the pork pulling.

Ditto what Ron said.

And remember all of the little tricks.

If the temp isn't getting up to where you want it with the vents fully opened, you can offset the top ever so slightly to increase flow and temp. (I know others set doors ajar too.)

Start with extra coals lit to increase temp.

If you start earlier and finish ahead of time you can also make it up in hold time if needed.

Good luck.

I've done cooks of 4 picnics, 6 butts, and a chuck roll and brisket as the biggest cooks at any one time. All that meat takes a while to get going, but the WSM will get the job done. Couple other tips. Start out with a FULL ring of coal and if you use the water pan, fill it with hot or even boiling water. Also, make sure meat is as close to room temp as possible. The less effort the WSM needs to make at the beginning to get everything hot, the better. Lastly, if you are running short on time at the end, remember you can always toss em in the oven to finish off.
Good luck to you.

Echo what Bob and Ron have said. I've done a full case of pork butts across 3 wsms in the middle of winter and had no real problem. Once the pits get settled in with all the meat they'll do just fine, like a typical WSM!

Be sure to rotate the racks, that's important.

We also don't use water, we use sand and clay pot bases, which makes life a bit easier.

I cooked 40 Butts once for a church gathering in three traegers (one on wheels) It honestly seemed about the same. For some reason there was about 30-45 minutes between them hitting 200. I had pullers there and that worked out great for them.

I've done 6 8# butts on a bullet numerous times. Also did 37# of brislet flats at once with 4 racks. Everything was just fine. As mentioned above use hot hot water in the pan, a full full ring of coal, and make sure the air flow isn't restricted and you'll be just fine. It may take a little longer to get up to temp but when it does it will just purr along like they always do.

No worries man...load her to the gills and fire it up! :cool: I usually rotate the top and bottom grates about 1/2 way through my estimated smoke times just so everything finishes closer together. You will notice a difference in your dome temps but at the grate you'll be fine...:thumb:

Back