• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Charcoal endurance

deathamphetamine

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I would love to know how you guys get 12 + hours out of your UDS's , WSM's,
Brinkmann smoke and grills etc. I have mostly used RO briquettes and finally tried a bag lump on the weekend. Unfortunately Captain Morgan saw to it that I completely didn't notice a difference. I have the Brinkmann Smoke and Grill, I am going to install a ball valve for intake and an exhaust with damper to help regulate. But I am still baffled on how 1 load of coal will last that long.?:confused:

I am planning on doing my first full packer so I would love to get my cooker running like a champ!

Sorry Death, different beast.
Your smoker was designed by idiots who were just trying to market a product with no thought involved. :cool:

With mods, you can get maybe 3-4 hrs.
Once you learn to smoke on that, you can smoke on anything! :biggrin:

The mods you suggest won't work on that style smoker.

Every one been saying that but other than thicker metal and vents what contributes to it being worth the extra 350 clams. What constitutes " better built" ?
Coal pan to grate height?
Vents? ,
Height off the ground?
Simply saying that it is built better doesn't really answer my question of how to get longer burn times. I want to here from people who have done some mods to their own Brinkmanns, where ya all at? I don't mean to be stubborn or anything but this was what is available round here and don't want to throw in the towel just yet.
:)

Deathampheatimine, I have not done the mods, but, I did a lot of looking at that unit as price was gonna be an issue for me. The conclusion that I came to was that the Brinkmann, even with all the common mods was not going to give me the kind of control over air flow that is needed to maintain a long slow cook. It also has no vents on the top of the unit that will allow me to move air away from the cooking chamber efficiently, making the necessary updraft of air in the smoker slower. Actually, I do not consider it to be a piece of junk, it is a smoker that will allow you to smoke meats and produce good product, it just requires more fire tending attention.

So basically I am going to have to periodically ( frequently ) add fuel. :( Looks like I better start doing something with all the drums laying around the yard!:biggrin: well in the mean time I
will try the mods and hopefully turn this little smoker that could into something that will do.:-D

I think you can better start building an UDS,just cooked three times on mine (still a rookie) but as far as burning hours I can get easilly 14 hours of smoke (low and slow)with not even the charcoalbasket half full.
Builded my UDS with the Norco tutorial (3 air intakes),have a Weber lid and using cocobriquettes.

Do a google search for Randy's ECB mods. These mods + the minion method (starting with only 6 lit briquettes) should get you a 4 hour burn. They also make it easier to add fuel when necessary.

UDS's and WSM's have much better air flow control that allow for +12 hour burn times.

Yeah I know Phubar, just can't seem to find the time lately :( what does your coal basket look like? ie: dimensions?

I think it is 5" high and as wide as a Weber 22,5" charcoal grate.
Low and fat.
The last pic was the setup for the Pulled Pork 2 weeks ago,it took me 12.5 hours to get it done but with this little amount of charcoal I could easily go on for at least 2 hours smoking from the looking of the remains.

Attachments

• SP_A0613.jpg
    SP_A0613.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 122
  • SP_A0614.jpg
    SP_A0614.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 121
  • SP_A0779.jpg
    SP_A0779.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 122
  • SP_A0863.jpg
    SP_A0863.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 121
Death forget the Brinkman and go to the UDS thread and build one. Nothing else to tell ya. To me there even better than a WSM. I have three WSM's and three UDS's and seldom do I use the WSM's.

Death, I just used my Brinkman this weekend for a loin and fatty. The UDS was out on loan.

Mine is open bottom. I only use it for hot dogs and hamburgers, sometimes little chickens. I can cook anything on mine but I wouldn't if I had another option. Build a UDS, it will take about an hour, not counting the lid, once you have the parts you need laying around.

Well I have two spare drums and all the hardware.... Just can't seem to get my grates in line. might have to order some webers or make a trip down south :) For some reason nobody around here has a good selection of BBQ's , parts or tools. :(

This is the land of propane and cheaply made gassers! LOL

Back