MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Default Prestigious Invitational Qualifications - Should they be changed

Mod Note : New thread started here as offshoot topic to my post below in a different thread)

SIDE - Might have been a bit slow reading into it, and I now realize you have a dog in this fight so to speak with your Sayville win, but you appear to be against any other contest meeting established credentials..

PS - Of course Andy is flying out... he's now got an original poist WWII Levitt-style house in Levittown, a job at Grumman working with Phil, a boat docked in Freeport, season tickets to the Islanders and loves the beach

Every contest organizer is entitled to create their own qualifications for an Invitational type event..

Some of the present invitational type contests like the Jack, Royal etc. use various criteria and metrics like GC's, state residency, state proclamation, # of teams, # of years contest has been conducted etc. and rules may not not been revised as the competition scene has evolved.

So - If you were going to start a new prestigious invitational or revise an existing one as an organizer, or wanted to compete against the best as a cook - what would you keep, change, add to make the playing field truly one of the best ?

Discuss.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 08-04-2009 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: merge
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
SIDE - Might have been a bit slow reading into it, and I now realize you have a dog in this fight with your Sayville win, but you appear to be against any other contest meeting established credentials ?
It is what it is. Other contest organizers spends months or years putting together great contests, securing cooks, etc. If it's just as easy to add a chicken category three weeks before what is suppose to be a fun charity event because the governor is willing to sign off on another proclamation, so be it. If you can declare a second year contest a "first year" qualifier after the cooking is done, so be it. It just begs a review of the rules as they stand, IMO.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
SmokeInDaEye

No worries. Just my opinion as someone who has been screwed before by these last minute qualifiers. If you're going to take on the task of organizing contests, put the respect of the teams who support you at the top of your priority list (said to all organizers across the country).
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis

Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I would love if NY had as many contests as KS or MO so I dont see what the problem is.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
SmokeInDaEye

I need a better understanding of the qualifying rules perhaps but the way they are being interpreted in some cases leads me to believe you can charge nothing, have 15 people show up, make up a new name each year and, depending on your governor, have it declared a state championship. Does that mean that the winners of those contests will go on to win the Jack, GAB or Royal? Probably not, but its kind of like letting anyone who can glue letters on a velvet sash be Ms. America.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I would make sure that whatever we do it would include a conspiracy against SIDE
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
SIDE - I realize you have a dog in this fight so to speak with your Sayville win, but you appear to be against any other contest meeting established credentials..

PS - Of course Andy is flying out... he's now got an original poist WWII Levitt-style house in Levittown, a job at Grumman working with Phil, a boat docked in Freeport, season tickets to the Islanders and loves the beach.
Now thats funny... I think if I could pull off all of that, I would move

I think anyone that works with the Jack and the Royal to ensure thier criteria are met should be able to have a qualifying event. I would imagine that there are other specifics not in those website blurbs... when you were lobbying the events for approval, those things would come out. They dont let every event count...They reserve the right to do whatever they want

But MO has well over 30 Qualifiers, so Does KS.... so I think NY can have a few more if they pass muster.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Help an outsider out - is NY adding another comp to the jack draw?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
SmokeInDaEye

Feel free to attack me but it's kind of a joke.

I'm all for more contests, I'd just prefer they were scheduled for the season and work with the big shows to do it legit, not twist some things a couple weeks in advance (or at awards). They don't add games to the hockey season and they don't add extra holes in a golf tourney (unless it is a playoff).

FYI, I'm not going to the Jack or Royal this year because I don't believe I'm ready to do them right (ie teammates, vacation time, and money). I'm simply in this discussion because I think the rules need to be better defined.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I see nothing wrong with adding comps as the season goes. At the rate they were getting canceled in Iowa this year, most IA competitors would welcome them.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
MilitantSquatter

KCBobby - it's only a possibility right now.. nothing concrete as far as another contest.

SIDE - Fair point - so how do you think a team(s), or organizations etc. can go about making recommendations for improvement to the established contests ? Do you think they will listen ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #12
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post

FYI, I'm not going to the Jack or Royal this year because I don't believe I'm ready to do them right (ie teammates, vacation time, and money). I'm simply in this discussion because I think the rules need to be better defined.
That is dissappointing...you really should reconsider... you deserve to be there...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
If it's just as easy to add a chicken category three weeks before what is suppose to be a fun charity event because the governor is willing to sign off on another proclamation, so be it.
Well, that clearly isn't the crux of the matter as you were bitching and whining about it prior to the discussion of adding chicken.

Sayville was a state championship in it's first year and you didn't complain about that. The application for the proclamation was sent in way before there were 15 teams signed up. So where do you draw the line? Why is one legit and the next isn't?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #14
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
No worries. Just my opinion as someone who has been screwed before by these last minute qualifiers. If you're going to take on the task of organizing contests, put the respect of the teams who support you at the top of your priority list (said to all organizers across the country).
I suffered through a similar situation a few years back. Team Agave qualified for the Jack but then a contest in the state we won got a proclamation from the Governor about 3 weeks after the contest took place. Man was I pissed !

Some organizers just want to take the easy road to attract teams instead of doing the real work and making it an event that teams want to attend because it's cooker friendly. Getting a proclamation seems to be the easiest way. Oh Well.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:

I'm all for more contests, I'd just prefer they were scheduled for the season and work with the big shows to do it legit, not twist some things a couple weeks in advance (or at awards). They don't add games to the hockey season and they don't add extra holes in a golf tourney (unless it is a playoff).

Are you waiting till "After" your Food Tv Pilot?????

Sorry

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote