What makes one a pit master???

Q

Que-Dawg

Okay in your thoughts what makes a pit master?
And do you think of yourself as a pit master or just a backyard weekend warrior?

not sure what a pit master is but i consider myself a weekend apprentice at best.

I think a 'pitmaster' would be one whose livelihood depended upon smoke, and I consider myself a conosseur of smoke.

i think it is a person who does competitions and a weekend warrior is somebody who is a good bbq'er but doesnt do competitions

i am proud to say that i have mastered my pit (and a couple others). i can for the most part (g-d willing and the river don't rise) have it perform as i want when i want. the food that comes off of it is consistently pretty good, my results repeatable and i'm not anxious every time i cook about what the results will be. it took a while and a lot of experimenting along with some outright failures and hopeful monsters, but if it was easy anybody could do it.

I am a pitmaster at home. I am the master of my pit. When in the company of others I am not...

i think a pit master is someone who no matter what can pull off good que no matter the animal no matter the pit just out right no matter what(now everyone makes mistakes)but for the most part he or she could be in the wood no temp probe no anything but dead wood a slab of some animal and a flame and turn that sucka out like a mofo so that being said i aint near it but damn im tryin

According to Paul Kirk...I am a certified "Pit Master" after taking his class...:twisted: Seriously now...I do not consider myself a pitmaster...yet. After I get to the Jack...then I'll claim the label. :p

I could be totally off base here, but I always considerered the pit master to be the same thing as an executive chef at a restaurant. They are in charge of everything that goes in and out of a pit.
So just like at home in the kitchen I can't be classified as an executive chef, I can't be classified as a pit master unless I'm running a pit for a restaurant or as a business.
That would put me firmly in the class of a backyard weekend warrior. That's just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like. :biggrin:

I have no idea what a pitmaster is. I do know that I am a guy that likes to BBQ in self-defense against the junk I would have to pay to eat around here.

Well I made a Raichlen Pizza on the chargriller pro for dinner the other night, and actually got a wisp or two of blue smoke out of the Dpp 60 today.....?

Firecrackerjack

Been married going on 25 years, so I'm the master of nothing...........by now.......

I agree that a pitmaster can almost always pull of good que no matter what they are cooking on, what the weather, or how many they are cooking for.
That being said, i am not there, but i am having a LOT of fun trying to get there. IN the mean time, i am a backyard warrior that occasionally does comps.

My idea of a pit master is now that ive mastered my Klose pit.
Ive taught my team mate the same that ive learned, and now I can just call the shots as to how I would like things done.
If something were to happen to me, my team mate could easily slide into my shoes and produce the same quality Q.

Guess that makes me a master of my machine, teacher to my team mate and have all the faith in the world on his skills.

I think all of these answers are right. Mostly I think it depends on the crowd your in at the moment. At most comps, where the likes of Rhythm & Q, Otis and the Bird, Smokin' Triggers,CancerSucks etc are at, I'm just a PB*%tch, but in my 'hood at home I am the Master... My neighbors swear that I am the best ever, now if they would just show up to judge:wink:

Back