Question on sour salt

Ken V

Full Fledged Farker
I have noticed that some rubs have sour salt(citric acid) and was wondering what the sour salt brings to the table for the flavor.....whats it's job?

Thanks,

Ken

It brings sour flavor. Basic flavors are Salty, Sweet, Sour, Bitter and Umame. Some ingredients that can give you those are (respectively) Salt, Sugar, Citric Acid, Cumin, MSG. I like to consider spicy a flavor too, but it's not, it's a touch sensation. foods that fire all cylinders in the tongue have more flavor sensation. Trick is getting the right balance of all five flavors when making the target flavor you are trying to achieve. Not all flavors should be equal strength in all dishes. Some are used a little to give it that extra something .

I was thinking after reading some of the Funky ones posts on salt and how it is a carrier of other flavors into the meat but doesn't make the final product salty, if the sour salt had any advantages as a carrier.
I may have over simplified my question, I knew that sour salt was sour:biggrin:

Ken

It brings sour flavor. Basic flavors are Salty, Sweet, Sour, Bitter and Umame. Some ingredients that can give you those are (respectively) Salt, Sugar, Citric Acid, Cumin, MSG. I like to consider spicy a flavor too, but it's not, it's a touch sensation. foods that fire all cylinders in the tongue have more flavor sensation. Trick is getting the right balance of all five flavors when making the target flavor you are trying to achieve. Not all flavors should be equal strength in all dishes. Some are used a little to give it that extra something .

Great description, Chris! Thanks.

Back