• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

3-2-1 method

Lemon Lime

Reaction score
I am new to this site and the Chef of a new team to enter our first competition in May. After doing much research in the various threads, I keep seeing the 3-2-1 method when talking about ribs. I'm sure it's out there somewhere but I don't know how to find it. Just trying to do some homework. Can anybody help me with what this is?

Lemon Lime

3 hours in the smoke,wrap in foil for 2 hours(still on smoker), unwrap and put on smoker for 1 more hour to firm up a bit(sauce if desired in the last hour).

Basically

3 hours in smoke
2 hours in foil (w/heat)
1 hour back on smoke/heat to firm up...

I'll look up some links for you in a minute.

Please head over to "Cattle Call" and introduce youself.

It's a method smoking for spare ribs. With cooker at 250*, 3 hours in smoke, 2 hours in foil, and 1 hour to firm up and sauce. For loin ribs, use 2-2-1 as a guidline. .........stan

You guys are awesome. I've been sending links to all my team to read. We're backyard guru's but now the fun begins. We've worked the Am Royal for a number of years as Meat Inspectors and finally decided to take the plunge. Question for trp1fox: sorry, but how do I get to the "Cattle Call"?

Lemon Lime

I should qualify, we think we're good but after reading all of this, whoa!

Or depending on how done the ribs are it can be 3 hours on the smoker unwrapped, 2 hours on the smoker wrapped and 1 hour in the cooler.

just watch your time in foil can overcook it, they will literally be fall off the bone.

I agree with n-2-que. I use the 3-2-1 for spares and the 2-2-1 method for Baby backs as a guide line. It's easy to cook ribs into a pulled rib spammy if you don't watch it.

Practice,practice, practice and of course taste testing all of that stuff you practice cooking. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it!!!

I agree with n-2-que. I use the 3-2-1 for spares and the 2-2-1 method for Baby backs as a guide line. It's easy to cook ribs into a pulled rib spammy if you don't watch it.

You say pulled rib sammie like it's a BAD thing! I love rib sammies. Cook 'em to fall of the bone stage (back ribs or St' Louis) and put the slab on a big loaf of french bread. pull the bones out, sauce and serve. My McRib Mod.

Rib are good any way you smoke them. Actually most of my people like them falling off bone

RIBS Yum Yum

I never heard of this method I just smoke at 250 for 4 hours and sauce for 1 hour with foil, but I 'll try this never know !!!!

Lemon Lime, so what are you cooking on??? That can make a big difference too. Personally I mostly use my drum for doing ribs and them puppies are done in 4.5 hrs at 230-240, no foil, just time over them slow burning briquets and some sweet cherry... They don't fall of the bone, but I don't want 'em to either.

Sampson, so sorry it's taken so long. Been busy practicing, new job, bad mortgage, etc. I cook on a brinkmann, offset. It's done a nice job but I'd love to upgrade. Very limited on space. I've done the 3-2-1 with some decent success. Last weekend tried using a rib-rack and with the lack of depth in the rig, tried rotating, restacking the ribs, etc., and it didn't work too well. Buddy brought over 7 slabs of St. Louis's and wanted cooked for a party. Don't think I'll be using the rib-rack in competition. Which is limiting because I'm lucky if I can fit 3 racks on my outfit.

A question I would pose....I'm in Kansas City and our first comp is a little town 30 miles away. I know sauce is important but I don't want to slather it with a heavy ketchup based sauce. Any suggestions for glazing? To look nice?

A question I would pose....I'm in Kansas City and our first comp is a little town 30 miles away. I know sauce is important but I don't want to slather it with a heavy ketchup based sauce. Any suggestions for glazing? To look nice?

What comp?

Back