MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Dallas Bites: BBQ & Beer Tour

So as a birthday celebration for me and a buddy, we checked out a local BBQ and Beer tour put on by Dallas Bites. $59 per person, 5 BBQ stops, 1 Brewery stop, plus beer on the tour bus. Oh, and no lines. Part of the agreement with tour company is no line waiting.

1st Stop - Pecan Lodge

Serving - 1 brisket slice and one untrimmed spare rib

Brisket was amazing! Some of the best I have ever tasted. I didn't get any pics as I was just ready to dig in as I was starving by the time this started.

The spare rib had great flavor but was a bit undercooked, IMO. There was a bit of grub leftover from the bulk order, so I got another serving of brisket and another rib. :)

2nd Stop - Off the Bone

Serving - 1 baby back rib, cole slaw, and slice of bread

The cole slaw was interesting and had some sort of crumbled cheese in it. Tasha wasn't a fan. I thought it was decent.

The rib has OK flavor and was a bit overcooked/mushy. Tasha enjoyed the flavor more than I did.

3rd Stop - Baker's Ribs

Serving - 1/2 Brisket fried pie

Chopped brisket, mixed lightly with sauce, wrapped up in pie crust and deep fried...what's not to like. It was delicious!

4th Stop - Peticolas Brewing Company

Serving - 3 beers of your choice - I had the Velvet Hammer (Red Ale), Irish Goodbye (Brown Ale), and Great Scot (Scotch Ale). the Velvet Haammer was a bit hoppy for my taste but the other 2 were terrific! Will go back to this joint for sure!

5th Stop - Mike Anderson's BBQ

Serving - 1 deboned quail wrapped around the one leg bone left in, bacon wrapped and stuffed with a slice of jalapeno.

3-4 bites of perfection! This was a nice little treat! I wanted to get more but our tour group got the last of them! :(

6th Stop - Babbs Brothers BBQ

Serving - Half a chopped beef sandwich

Served un-sauced (thankfully) with a regular (spicy) and mild sauce on the table. I had it with the regular sauce and the meat and sauce had great flavor. Talked to the owner as we were leaving and he was a cool guy. He was appreciative of our group stopping in after a bust at a previous stop (WORK in Deep Ellum who is apparently closing its doors next week and didn't prep our group order).

The tour stops were a bit rushed so I didn't get all the pics I would had I made a similar tour on my own. However, it gave a nice sampling of some local joints and we will probably check a few out again another time to sample more of their menu.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Looks like a really good time! The brisket fried pie sounds amazing and the quail had to be really good! Thanks for posting.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

Sounds like a fun day - I would have added a few more brew stops!
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Dawg View Post
Sounds like a fun day - I would have added a few more brew stops!
We had one more beer stop at a local bar (LUCK) with 40 local brews on tap but it was not included in the price of the tour. I got 2 growlers to go and worked on finishing half of one as my dinner....I just couldn't do any more food. The tour ended at 3:30p or so and I haven't had a bite since about 2:30p and I am still stuffed!

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
Old 04-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
Smoke Dawg

Name/Nickname : IMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
We had one more beer stop at a local bar (LUCK) with 40 local brews on tap. I got 2 growlers to go and worked on finishing half of one as my dinner....I just couldn't do any more food. The tour ended at 3:30p or so and I haven't had a bite since about 2:30p and I am still stuffed!
Nice finish! I did the bourbon tour last year. It was a blast!
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #6
peeps

Mmmmm....bourbon!

Old 04-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #7
caseydog

You need to come to Frisco and buy me dinner and beers at Three Stacks BBQ and Tap House. The que is good, and they have like 20 craft beers on tap. We will like it, and it won't cost me anything.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
You need to come to Frisco and buy me dinner and beers at Three Stacks BBQ and Tap House. The que is good, and they have like 20 craft beers on tap. We will like it, and it won't cost me anything.

CD
Well, that sure sounds like a great deal for someone

Tell ya what, I hear there is gonna be an all day BBQ buffet at Lake Ray Roberts next weekend. Bring your own craft beer and pretend it's from me.

Will that work instead?
Old 04-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #9
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Thanks, Peeps! That Quail looked fantastic! Between you and Greg, I've decided I need to make a Q pilgrimage to Texas!!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
Diesel Dave

Thanks! Nice to see what's out there and get some ideas for our own cooking creations

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

What time were you at Pecan Lodge yesterday? I was there around 10:15 with all intention of getting a "trough" for the family when they opened at 11:00. I walked out because he raised the price to $69. I always tell people to speak with their wallets...
Old 04-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
What time were you at Pecan Lodge yesterday? I was there around 10:15 with all intention of getting a "trough" for the family when they opened at 11:00. I walked out because he raised the price to $69. I always tell people to speak with their wallets...
it was about 10:30. You must have been right at the front of the line at 10:15. Sucks we missed ya!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
sliding_billy

Yeah, we were about 5th. I'd have stayed if I saw you.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #14
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

peeps, we need to have a gtg in McKinney on a Saturday. At 11:00 and go to the Franconia brewery tour then head to Hutchin's BBQ (which is close by) and hit the buffet for lunch. That would be a fun mini-bash. We have gone to the Franconia tour several times and it's a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post

CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Well, that sure sounds like a great deal for someone

Tell ya what, I hear there is gonna be an all day BBQ buffet at Lake Ray Roberts next weekend. Bring your own craft beer and pretend it's from me.

Will that work instead?
CD, here, i'll sweeten the deal. Totally Basted is a craft beer aficionado so we will bring a nice assortment so your que & brew will be provided.

Been cellaring some 2012 Founders Breakfast Stout and we're real happy with the result.

CD, Cloudsmoker, Totally Basted and myself checked out Three Stacks awhile back. Real cool place.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr

Last edited by frognot; 04-06-2014 at 01:53 PM..
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
sliding_billy

I am not fond of the changes that 3 Stacks has made (moving to completely full serve), and his prices are pretty out of control especially given that you are going to end up into it for a tip as well. I honestly think that he is going to fall apart when the suburban BBQ trend slows down.