MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default gtr's Slightly Ridiculous BBQ Weekend in the Austin Area - long and pron heavy

I went to Austin this last weekend to visit my little sister and eat a chitload of BBQ. We hit 8 joints in 3 days and had a huge time - and huge bellies by the end of it.

We started Friday at 8 am in line at Franklin's. We were about 35 folks back.

Brother Gore came and joined us - it was so cool that it worked out to meet him and we had a great time. This is Brethren you want to hit a BBQ joint with fo sho.

Not sure what time this was, but the line was wrapping around the block.

The meat cutter getting it done.

We got brisket, turkey and sausage.

Gore got brisket and pork ribs. I saw that Gore found the sausage to be fatty and he's right - the difference is he wasn't into it and I was - more for me!

The brisket blew my farking mind. It hit all the parameters - taste, tenderness, smoke, flavor, bark - all that came together in a way I have never experienced. I would wait in line for this stuff again - and, to be clear, part of the thing with waiting in line is knowing what you're getting into. I had a nice time catching up with my sis, chatting with Gore, and talking with the folks around us. Not something I would do often, but would definitely do again.

The pits at Franklin's.

We moseyed on over to John Mueller Meat Co. and they were sold out - this was at around 1pm. Gore went there Wed when they were closed.

Gore - it was great to meat you and I hope we can do something like this again.

Later that evening we went to Elgin. First we hit Southside Market.

We got different plates and all picked off of each other.Their brisket was pretty dang good but I was really there for the sausage, which was excellent. The beans were phenomenal as well.

We had another plate of food but I can't find the pic of it - it was pork ribs and something else. I was surprised at how good the pork ribs were at all these places we went to - I normally associate TX with beef, but they got the pork ribs going on as well.

Anyway, we went to Meyer's after that. The chicken here was incredible and the sausage was great as well.

Very good pork ribs and mac n cheese.

Saturday we went to Lockhart. We started at Smitty's.

All of the food was really dang good! Great atmosphere as well. Everybody who worked here, and everywhere we went for that matter, was really friendly. Seems to be the norm at BBQ places everywhere and I really like that.

Walking away from Smitty's.

Next we hit Black's. My favorite was the beef rib and the cobbler. Excellent, excellent stuff. I actually didn't like their brisket as much as Smitty's and Kruez. I'm guessing you get varying quality by the day or even by the piece of meat at these places, so at any given moment it might be possible for one to be better than the others. It was still very good brisket albeit a little dry.

After Black's we went to Kruez. It feels like entering a sanctuary when coming in to order.

The brisket and the sausage were great, but I need to talk about the pork chop. I have never eaten anything like this - they're cooked as a whole roast and sliced off. By far the most tender, delicious and juicy pork chop I have ever had - period. One of the best kind of anything I've ever eaten. A couple bites around the edge let me know that a great deal of salt was used in the process. Also got the shoulder clod which I have always been very curious about. I loved it - kinda like a very tender roast i.e. it's sliced. Now I know what to shoot for when cooking one of these things.

The sausage was great - I bought a bunch of uncooked to take home.

For dinner we met some family at Salt Lick. Fun place!

Goofing by their pit.

One of their Oylers.

Their beef ribs are back ribs.

It's probably not fair to talk about their food after going to the places in Lockhart. I'll say that I would go there again if it involves a group of folks and we're out to have fun. It's worth noting that this place is overrun by beautiful TX gals, who are among the best you can find anywhere. I lived in Austin in the 80's and my research conducted at that time indicated that they are absolutely delicious.

Sunday. John Mueller Meat Company. This may have been my overall favorite - the food is completely amazing and the atmosphere is a good as it gets. It feels like a party. John is working the crowd and getting people, myself included, to help slice the brisket. Here's from inside the serving trailer.

Fire door open.

Incredible sausage and brisket. His sauce is more like a soup, and it is amazing. I was drinking it straight by the end of the meal.

Here are his beef and pork ribs - fanfarkingtastic. Also the best beans of the weekend and a squash dish that was also fanfarkingtastic - yes, squash. The rubs were fantastic - very large grain pepper, a nice heavy crust on everything. I farking loved every bite as did everybody who was with us.

I wish I had taken a shot of the whole place (and the other whole places too ) It's a dirt lot with a couple trailers, a couple tents, some picnic tables, and speakers hung up in trees playing outlaw country music. I can't think of a better way to spend the morning. If you get there 1/2 hour before opening you should be good. Once the line starts, it never gets any shorter. I can imagine John Mueller will get to a point where he will need to move to a bigger spot, so anybody who can hit this place now should. Just fantastic.

I brought home some sausage. SoCal farkers will be eating this at the next bash - what's left of it anyway.

It was a phenomenal weekend. I hope to get back before too long and check out some other spots like Snow's, Taylor Cafe, etc. I have to mention that "The Prophets of Smoked Meat" by Daniel Vaughn was a great resource for this trip as well as a couple of friends who are local and work around the area and are into checking out BBQ spots.

I would say anybody who is a fan of smoked meat should check this out if they can. These people are basically wizards IMO. It's also worth noting that the people who cook and serve this stuff are all working very hard - it's hot, sweaty, and dirty work. Bless them all for what they do.

It was really nice to visit Austin again, overrun as it may be. I have many fond memories (or lack thereof) from there and this really was a great weekend to go back.

Thanks for looking!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Looks like an awesome time. I'm super jealous of that sausage haul. I gotta get back out there and try some of these places.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I was waiting for this! Dang, I can't believe I went to Mueller's twice and came away empty both times! Definitely have to catch it next time! It was great meating you too!

Funny how your experience at Lockhart was almost the opposite of ours. Sounds like I'll have to go back and take some more samples.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
landarc

Man, that score on sausage, that is where real Texas BBQ is at. What a great trip, that is how I imagined my first trip to Texas could be, if only I had traveled alone. Great coverage.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
deepsouth

well done. thanks for sharing.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
bigabyte

What an impressive journey!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
N8man
Babbling Farker

OutStanding....my mouth is watering....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

I am glad you enjoyed your visit. Please take all the CA folk back with you however.... :)
Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
MilitantSquatter

awesome update....

XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I was waiting for this! Dang, I can't believe I went to Mueller's twice and came away empty both times! Definitely have to catch it next time! It was great meating you too!

Funny how your experience at Lockhart was almost the opposite of ours. Sounds like I'll have to go back and take some more samples.
More research in Lockhart is always necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCoyote View Post
I am glad you enjoyed your visit. Please take all the CA folk back with you however.... :)
You can keep 'em. There are more than enough here.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #11
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Great reportage Greg!! What an amazing Q adventure!! I appreciate the info on all of these places. Hope to head that way myself sometime.
Thanks!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 PM   #12
peeps

Thanks for the report!!!!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
Timmy Mac
Take a breath!

Thanks for the write up and pics!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:15 PM   #14
chambersuac

Looks like a really good time. I'm sorry that both you and Gore missed the best place in TX - a humble little place in San Antonio. Maybe next time! :)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 AM   #15
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Great pics. Thanks for the post.