MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
Evilsports
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Canadian on BBQ Pilgrimage

Good morning brothers!

I was sent packing on a driving holiday to the US with the blessings of wife six days ago. I've long wanted to do a driving tour of the southern US and everything lined up for it to be possible this year.

I'm trying to hit up as many BBQ joint in my travels as I can. Since leaving Saskatoon Saskatchewan I've eaten at the Iron Range Smokehouse in Watertown SD, Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City, and Big Bob Gibsons in Decatur Alabama. Spend the weekend in Memphis to watch some Outlaw Drag Radial drag racing and I'm currently just leaving Huntsville Alabama.

I'm planning on hitting up the Hickory Pig in Gainsville Georgia this afternoon, and following this I draw a blank.

My buddy is flying in to Greensboro this coming Thursday and we're going to take in the Nascar races this weekend before we loop our way back up to Canada.

I've got some places in NC lined up thanks to the advice of Tim Spake at Castle Stoves. (He's building me a stainless steel table for my BGE and we'll be swinging by his place in Quincy Illinois on our way home to pick it up).

What I don't have are any BBQ joints in South Carolina lined up to test out. I KNOW there's got to be a pile of places there, and I'm really hoping the Brethren can help point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any help, and my hat's off to y'all for a beautiful country and some extremely helpful and friendly folks who have already made this a journey to remember.

Cheers! Kevin.

Captains Log

Miles Travelled: 2100
Days on the road: 6
BBQ Joints: 3
States Visited: North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama.
Evilsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Scotts in Hemmingway SC
Old 03-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Scotts for sure!

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Hey wait... you missed Texas. +1 for Scott's though.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I expect you're heading north from there into Virginia. One of my favorites is BBQ Exchange in Gordonsville:

http://www.bbqex.com/

I should also add that I've had some outstanding Q at Q BBQ in Richmond

http://qbarbeque.com/

They've got lots of pretty trophies too, including Grand Champion in some little contests like the Jack and Royal.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Smokinpig
Found some matches.

More places to check out in NC below. Lexington #1, and Wilber's are winners in my book and give you that regional NC difference.

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html

If you are in Atlanta Fox Brother's is probably the best in town.
Smokinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
RW
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds like a great trip but ...
'What? No barbecue in North Dakota?
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I have never eaten at Q BBQ but it is a place I definately want to go I know the guy, Tuffy, and his food is excellent
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Not going to hit Louisiana? That's a shame.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #10
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Glad to see someone finally said something about Jack Cobb's. It ain't fancy but some of the best Q in ENC. And he still does it the old fashioned way.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

If you pass through Clarksdale Mississippi, pass by Abe's. My experience was not positive.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #12
Smokinpig
Found some matches.

any updates @Evilsports?
Smokinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
sroderic
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I expect you're heading north from there into Virginia. One of my favorites is BBQ Exchange in Gordonsville:

http://www.bbqex.com/

I should also add that I've had some outstanding Q at Q BBQ in Richmond

http://qbarbeque.com/

They've got lots of pretty trophies too, including Grand Champion in some little contests like the Jack and Royal.
Ate at the BBQ Exchange for the first time just about a week ago. Nothing against you or the owner, but I was disappointed. Food was just okay for all of the hype it gets. Wouldn't really consider the brisket as brisket...certainly not Texas Brisket, anyway.

I'll vouch for Q, though. Have been very impressed with what they put out in what is basically a quick serve restaurant.

Heading to Greenville, SC, myself, next week. Plan on doing a bit of a bbq pilgrimage while I'm there. Have heard great things about Bucky's, but will give a few others a look, as well.
sroderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #14
Evilsports
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinpig View Post
any updates @Evilsports?
Over the past few days I hit Smokin Gold BBQ in Dahlonega Georgia and had a good brisket sandwich, nothing to get excited about in my opinion.

Moved over to Greenville South Carolina and ate at Bucky's which was the best pork I've had on the trip. It also had the best side (sweet potatoe casserole) and a red vinegar sauce that was right up my alley!

From there it was off to Shelby North Carolina and Red Bridges BBQ Lodge. I got there today right at opening @ 11:00. I had more excellent pork that was made even better with a red slaw. Another great red vinegar sauce and some really tasty hush puppies.

I'm into Greensboro NC now and picked my buddy up at the airport. I took a night off BBQ and we had some Southern fare. (Fried chicken, cornbread, sweet tea, mac and cheese, collard greens).

Nascar now until Monday up in Martinsville Virginia so I'll probably end up going for a big steak one night and possibly duck down to Lexington #1 if the races get rained out Saturday like the forecast is calling for.

I'm having an amazing time and meeting some incredible southern hospitality. The solo segment of my journey is over as my buddy will ride with me on our winding road back to Canada. It'll be nice to have someone to share the meals and the driving with.

Haven't decided on our route up to Saskatchewan from North Carolina yet, but I'd sure be open to suggestions as to BBQ must have anywhere in between.

Cheers!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #15
Evilsports
Knows what a fatty is.

On another positive note, I received an email from Castle Stove that the table for my BGE was built and ready for pick up whenever I wander over towards Illinois..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EGT8 Wall.jpg (55.0 KB, 68 views)