MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)
Default Off to Austin

I'm off to Austin for a few days next week for a couple days. I've got sort of a full schedule so Franklin's is probably not gonna happen. I was wondering if there was anyplace else to get some decent pulled pork and BBQ chicken.

I should get in about 2:00pm Tuesday and will have that day free.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

How long are you gonna be there? I'll be there Friday-Sunday (arrive Thurs. nite) next week. I will be going to Franklin's on Friday and planning the rest of the eats for the weekend while waiting.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

There are an immense number of bbq joints in Austin. Most (not all) are very good and are considered fantastic in other parts of the state due to the quality of bbq here. What part of Austin are you going to be in? .
Old 03-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
How long are you gonna be there? I'll be there Friday-Sunday (arrive Thurs. nite) next week. I will be going to Franklin's on Friday and planning the rest of the eats for the weekend while waiting.
Arrrrrgh! The workshop is going to keep me completely busy all of Thursday and also Friday morning, but I think we're done Friday morning at something like 10:30am. Theoretically I could meet you at Franklins, but I think if I showed up and met you in line, wouldn't they shoot me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCoyote View Post
There are an immense number of bbq joints in Austin. Most (not all) are very good and are considered fantastic in other parts of the state due to the quality of bbq here. What part of Austin are you going to be in? .
Fark if I know. I think I'm at the Hilton downtown Wed-Fri. Tuesday I'm at the Renaissance because the Hilton was booked. I have no idea where any of that is, but I'll have a car. I was thinking I'd just drive to Lockhart from the airport and drive back to Austin after I had 3 dinners or so. I was also thinking about Mueller's ...., maybe Wednesday.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Arrrrrgh! The workshop is going to keep me completely busy all of Thursday and also Friday morning, but I think we're done Friday morning at something like 10:30am. Theoretically I could meet you at Franklins, but I think if I showed up and met you in line, wouldn't they shoot me?

Fark if I know. I think I'm at the Hilton downtown Wed-Fri. Tuesday I'm at the Renaissance because the Hilton was booked. I have no idea where any of that is, but I'll have a car. I was thinking I'd just drive to Lockhart from the airport and drive back to Austin after I had 3 dinners or so. I was also thinking about Mueller's ...., maybe Wednesday.

From where you are staying at Id hit the Pit on Burnet, Iron Works downtown, Sams on 12th, Stiles on N. Lamar, Mettles on Calles St. That should have you set. If you want more upscale I can send you a list of those however they are more of an experience that taste. Also, since you are staying downtown one day you may be able to hit Franklins (Ill meet you if you like, but there are places just as good without the wait or cost).
Old 03-22-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
JABonk
On the road to being a farker

Guys I'm in! Just tell me when and where?! I am driving my family to Austin to visit my in laws. I'm hoping to get there around noon on Tuesday. Last year was the first time I have been to Franklin's and it was great. I do however make 1 if not 2 trips to Lockhart every time we visit. Last year Black's had probably the best brisket I've ever eaten. Kreutz and Smitty's both have great hot links. Man is this making me hungry!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Fark, I knew I should have made this workshop longer!

My plane doesn't land until about noon. I am thinking of just driving straight to Lockhart and not leaving until evening. I will be freeish Wednesday until about mid-afternoon. I will then be completely tied up until about 10:00am Friday. My plane flies out at about 1600ish. I would love to go to Franklin's but considering my schedule and the number of other places, I think it would be a bit silly. I'm actually just as interested in visiting Mueller's trailer, and am thinking to do that Wednesday lunch. I also would love to meet gtr at Franklin's on Friday at 10:00, but I hate to be a line-cutter. Advice?

Old 03-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
gtr

It'll be me and my sister in line - I think if you walked up it should be ok as it wouldn't be like one person holding a spot for a group of people. I'll warm up the crowd before you get there - maybe I'll tell 'em my lover is showing up later or something like that.

Seriously - I think it'd be fine. If turns out to be a problem, we'll order to go and bring it out and we'll feast.

And Fat Coyote and JBonk - I'm thinking we get there at 8am on Friday. If y'all wanna meat up that'd be killer!

We'll be hitting some other joints in Austin and going to Lockhart and maybe places like Snow's and Taylor over the weekend.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Advice?

GO AND EAT!

I'd try to hit ALL that I could, even at the expense of NOT going to Franklin's. As you know, this advice IS coming from someone who has been known to eat at 3-4 Q-joints in the same day!

Have a GREAT time Gore, and then tell us all about your experiences!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
It'll be me and my sister in line - I think if you walked up it should be ok as it wouldn't be like one person holding a spot for a group of people. I'll warm up the crowd before you get there - maybe I'll tell 'em my lover is showing up later or something like that.

Seriously - I think it'd be fine. If turns out to be a problem, we'll order to go and bring it out and we'll feast.

And Fat Coyote and JBonk - I'm thinking we get there at 8am on Friday. If y'all wanna meat up that'd be killer!

We'll be hitting some other joints in Austin and going to Lockhart and maybe places like Snow's and Taylor over the weekend.
OK, I'll try to get there as soon as I can, but expect I can make it by 1000ish. Looks like they have us finishing up around 9:00am. What farker made that schedule anyway?

Incidentally, can you wear that pig head so I can recognize you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq.tom View Post
Advice?

GO AND EAT!

I'd try to hit ALL that I could, even at the expense of NOT going to Franklin's. As you know, this advice IS coming from someone who has been known to eat at 3-4 Q-joints in the same day!

Have a GREAT time Gore, and then tell us all about your experiences!
Yeah Tom, you bet I will. That was the point of the workshop. Incidentally, I should be at RTP the following Monday and Tuesday (March 31). I should be at the Blue Note Tuesday at 8:00ish if you're interested. I know it's late for a school night.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
Gore
Phizzy

If nobody has to work this Tuesday, I've talked with my co-chair and we'll be having a pre-workshop session in Lockhart in the afternoon. My plane arrives at 1215. We'll be starting at Black's. I don't think I could get there before 1330. If anyone is interested, I'll be the one who looks like an Idiot.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Wish i could join y'all!

Hope y'all have a great time!

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
gtr

The pig head is now stock, and I don't think I should be dumping it over my head that early in the day.

Look for one of these farkers on Friday.

(pic taken by CD)
WTFWGALD?
Old 03-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #14
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
The pig head is now stock, and I don't think I should be dumping it over my head that early in the day.

Look for one of these farkers on Friday.

(pic taken by CD)
Well, I recognize you, but which one is your sister?

Old 03-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #15
gtr

She's the one who isn't there.

So just look for any chick who isn't in that pic and it may just be my sister.
WTFWGALD?