MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #16
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
huh the new Dickies here is pretty dang good for a chain BBQ joint

one opened up down here and it is pretty good. i prefer my own, but i'll eat there in a pinch.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #17
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
All BBQ chains have 1 thing missing the goofy clown in fact the clowns food is better than 98 % of Chain BBQ places and I haven't been to the clown or any of his cousins like the Royal Burger Palace or the Brown Derby, Carls Corner ect... in almost 20 yrs. Some peoples like that stuff seems there is one one very corner and BBQ is falling in line unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSmokey View Post
Agreed Bludawg. They are all terrible. I know it's not the point of the thread,... but it's just the truth.... they are all terrible.
IN MY OPINION.... plus,... It's my favorite past time. so why in the h3ll would I go buy Q?!!!
oh,.... and so is rudy's ....
I feel sorry for those who think it is good food. They have never had the experience of good BBQ in their life. I find most restaurants disappointing at best, and chains are franchises that focus on profit, not quality. I haven't looked at a BBQ restaurant in years because I hate the disappointment time after time.

However this past year I did visit San Antonio and found a great roadside BBQ, and we tried some of the greats in Austin and surrounding areas. These were the exceptions the normal mediocre food. We did stop at Rudy's and I thought it was pretty good for a chain restaurant. Great "Sause" as well.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 03-06-2014 at 07:03 PM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #18
Funky D
On the road to being a farker

Another upvote here for Rudy's. As far as chain-BBQ goes, they are pretty damn amazing.

If haters wanna hate, let em, but don't let that bulldog mouth get head of that puppydog cooking talent. If you wanna dog Rudy's, step up showing superior product consistently, in any sort of volume. :D

Day in, day out, their brisket is better than 60% of competition brisket I judge.
Funky D is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #19
VivaTerlingua
Found some matches.

Dickey's is probably the worst food I have ever tasted. I can only assume that every restaurant below it on the list couldn't pass for cat food.
VivaTerlingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #20
Mrtodd777
Full Fledged Farker

Coming from Austin I can attest that Rudy's can be awesome. The thing is you need to know how to order. You can ask for any cut of the brisket. I ask for (end cut, extra moist). It is a plate full of bark and juicy end cuts of point. Best plate ever...
Mrtodd777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #21
Mrtodd777
Full Fledged Farker

I usually order one half pound of that, 2 st. Louis ribs, and a half a link of sausage. All the bread you want is free along with all the fixins for a great sammie.
Mrtodd777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #22
Okie Sawbones
Banned

I've never eaten at any of those chains. I am not a chain restaurant person, no matter what the food.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #23
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

The problem with me is I've honed in on exactly what I like so when I go to a bbq restaurant I can all but guarantee you it's not going to be worth my money. That's why I don't bother with chains and if I do eat at a bbq establishment I try to eat at a local place because odds are the guy running the pit is the owner. Which makes a lot of difference.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #24
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky D View Post
Another upvote here for Rudy's. As far as chain-BBQ goes, they are pretty damn amazing.

If haters wanna hate, let em, but don't let that bulldog mouth get head of that puppydog cooking talent. If you wanna dog Rudy's, step up showing superior product consistently, in any sort of volume. :D

Day in, day out, their brisket is better than 60% of competition brisket I judge.
Hehe. This is perfectly said . Hard to listen to those that violently blast any bbq that is created outside of their home. I'm sure they seek out the best of every food style (Pizza, Burgers, Mexican, Ice Cream, Asian, whatever) everytime they want something to eat and only the cream of the crop makes it's way down their gullet .

I've been to Jim & Nick's and most their food was solid. We went with a large group and everyone wanted to know what I thought and let me try things that weren't on my plate and I really liked their brisket, ribs, and especially the hot links!! The pulled pork was just ok, but I'd eat it if I didn't have food plan at that given moment and was hungry with no complaints.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #25
PDPatterson
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm by no means an expert at either making or judging BBQ. Heck, I haven't even reached amateur status, but I really enjoy Jim n' Nicks. I've tried a few of their locations in Alabama. The only knock I have is sometimes the consistency isn't always there with the brisket. Otherwise, everything else is really good IMHO.

I live just a few miles from Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Decatur, AL. They have won a lot of awards. All I can say is their competition BBQ must be MUCH better than their restaurant. Their chicken is pretty good, but other than that, I am not impressed at all.
PDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #26
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

We had a Dickey's open up here in a mall food court. You could smell the Q outside, and it smelled good. I tried it once, and the only things that was good were the jalapeno cheddar sausage, and the onion strings. They lasted about 6 months.
At Famous Dave's I've had some, and some bad. Just like any restaurant I thin that it depends on who is cooking that day, and the owner , or manager.
They are cooking vast amounts of food compared to most of us, and it can't get the attention for each piece of meat that we give our Q.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #27
bookie
Knows what a fatty is.

Tried a Smokey Bones ... can't think of anything good to say
bookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #28
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

I like Famous Daves wibur Beans and glad to get rib tips as well...If I buy BBq
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #29
Royalslover
Full Fledged Farker

I've lived in KC my whole life and I think that Famous Dave's is consistently as good as or better than any of the "famous" restaurants we have here. Ate at Dickey's once and it was not good that day.
Royalslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #30
IamMadMan

Our tastes are different and subjective to our personal likes.

We will never all agree on anything, but as long as we know what we like and we enjoy it, then we have what we consider to be good. Enjoy what you like and don't worry about personal opinions.

My mentor taught me to cook for myself and not others; simply put, we are our own worst critic, if we like our own BBQ then other will love it.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote