Thrift Store Find. How did I do?

Beef

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
On a motorcycle ride with my 9 year old, and stopped at a Family Sharing thrift store today, 10 minutes before they closed.
This was sitting out front. Couldn't resist.
I believe it is vintage, and everything appears to be here except the label, and the rotisserie. Or was this a more recent repro? Looks like I have to burn off the interior paint a bit before I use it. minor rust on the outside is beginning should I wax it or spray it with pam?

Did I do good for $10?

Give me your thoughts? And are there any neat things this thing can do with the hood?

bb6c6e9d-53cd-4c11-9d68-31e2024a37d2_zps4358138e.jpg

IMG01232-20130921-1831_zpsafc8dd45.jpg

IMG01234-20130921-1834_zpsd9f40826.jpg

Last edited:
This takes me back many years as my Dad had a grill just like it. I specifically remember the rotary crank and the shield.

Thanks for the thoughts of my Dad, the grill, pork steaks on the grill and a game of catch.

Like 93v........My pop had a Q very similar to that, and he could put out some great stuff. He had the rotisserie on his, and used to do spare ribs. I know I loved them as a kid, not sure I can even remember how they'd compare to what I've seen on this site. Man that was 40+ years ago. Damn, some great memories.

Nice score there Beef!

KC

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am cleaning it up now, and while it has a bit more surface rust after the dust was removed, it is still as solid as the day it was built.

Should I use it or preserve it?

Oh, and my first mod was to mound the daisy wheel on the OUTSIDE of the grill!:crazy:

Does the hood perform any purpose, if I dont have a rotisserie? (yet)

With some of your responses, I now distinctly remember my dad burning chicken parts on something like this, while dousing the flames with water from a 'Dawn' dishwashing liquid soap bottle.

Thanks again!

The hood served as a wind deflector, as well as supporting the roto.
Many good cookings left in that old grill!

Many years ago, when I was a school age fellow, the man who ran the mill in our little town had one like that and sometimes when kids would catch carp he would smoke them in there, using foil to close it in, and when it was done he would cut the carp in half and give equal share to the kid who gave him the carp. As I remember he did a good job in that thing.....

You did real well with that
I have vague memories of a grill like that.
I'm sure you'll put her to good use and enjoy it

Man, that's a flashback to other times. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the score.

I've got one just like it. Rusted and the lift froze.Mine has the rotisserie that works.
Would send it to you, you pay the postage.

On closer inspection, the rotisserie won't fit on yours.The one I have has a different hood.

What a great classic! I remember my dad cooking on one of those. Great memories. I'd restore it if it was mine

I still get a faint taste of charcoal lighter fluid anytime I see one of these grills, takes me back to my yute......

Thanks rehless for the generous offer, and for double checking.

Looks like blackened chicken for dinner, just like my dad used to do.

Back