That Feeling Of Panic When...

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
...you only have a few days until a comp and you have NO IDEA how you're gonna get everything ready in time!!!

I know you folks that compete all the time have systems to prevent such situations but as for me....I'm feeling some serious pressure right about now!

Anyboby else feeling crunch time?

We've been cooking fewer comps this year and have had a longer break in between. I thought that would make it easier, but for the last two we both felt like we weren't ready. :confused:

I thought that was normal......our first year and a checklist,using it and trusting it has helped.

This was the first year that we had comps in back to back weekends. Usually a team of three was two for weekend #1 and the other teammates wife gave birth on the Wednesday so it was all up to me to prep and get everything ready for weekend #2 and I usually take 3 days just to back into feeling normal. The second weekend came and I set up by myself with some help from friends from other teams and I got prep done and boxes built before 11pm, and unusually don't start trimming chicken till 1am. Ended up getting the most sleep I've ever gotten at a comp.

My second comp ended up being two contests. Turn in Saturday, move 40 miles and turn in Sunday. Simplified some process and walked away with some good money.

Just put on some head phones and prep Friday night. You know some store bought rubs and sauces that work. Call the KCBBQ store and you can get them in time.

You got it brother.

Yep I understand that feeling. I even went to a comp and FORGOT ALL my Injections, Rubs and Marinades!!!
Word got out and team started coming up offering items to me... VERY special moment to me indeed!!!

Long story short we back tracked 2 hours / half way to meet someone to get our product and still came out with a top 10 over all with a one walk.
I advice to stay cool and act like it is your backyard practice cook!

SIMPLIFY! Make a checklist, and remove anything that you don't really need. You still have a few days, so prepare your rubs, sauces, etc. ahead of time. If you're stressed out, you won't fully enjoy the experience. The fulness of life is had when you are mindful of the situation, and respond accordingly without doubt, or trepidation. It's BBQ!!!! ENJOY IT!!!!!!

after a while your check list will look like this:
tote #1
tote #2
tote #3
smoker
tent
charcoal
beer
ice
meat

Felt that last week. Worked my a** off to get ready. Nothing like showing up exhausted!

Take a deep breath, then crack a beer and sit back. As long as you have smoker, meat rub, sauce, table canopy you'll be ok. The ret you can pick up at the contest or borrow.

Thanks for the support everyone! I know its all gonna work out in the end, but I sure wish I had a couple extra days off this week!

Thank god I just got an equipment trailer.
Everything I need for comp that isn't a food item lives there. PERMANENTLY.
Throw the coolers into the bed of the truck, hook up to the trailer and we're off the rodeo!

Oh. and a friend of mine is cooking a competition this weekend.
Started working on the pit this weekend (welding work)
Texted last night. ****! They cut the door too big!

Oops!

He believes it can be fixed in time but I think he's going to roll into town and buy all his meats "on the street" and do up all his rubs/sauces/etc on site.

No thanks!

Throw the coolers into the bed of the truck, hook up to the trailer and we're off the rodeo!

Yeah I have one too, but that happens to be the biggest source of stuff to get ready. I have a three compartment stainless sink that needs to be in there by Friday or I'm gonna be roughing it like I used to with no running water.

I feel like that every week! This week is especially bad because we lost a day due to the holiday and woke up today and realized, it's already Tuesday! There is so much to do for competition preparation.

Eggspert BBQ

I've been thinking about getting one of these lately too, it seems it would be much easier to load/unload.

I know the stress of getting ready for a comp too. I also agree with keeping things simple if possible. I pack little by little about a week out from the comp. Doing things last minute stresses me out and tends to slow me down as I try to keep my head and not forget anything. You got this Q-Dat!

Just finished making sauce and rubs. Time to crash!!! I'll make injections in the morning, load up what isn't already in the trailer and roll out. Its about a two hour drive. I'm hoping to be on site by 2:00. Its IBCA so that should give me enough time.

Back