MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Hozman
Take a breath!

Question WSM-add more wood?

Before my WSM I had a big stick burner and the meat got constant hickory smoke throughout the who cook. Now with my WSM I was wondering, they say meat takes in smoke up to 140*. I always start my cook with 3 or 4 chunks then once they are done just just let the WSM do its thing.

Was wondering if my meat temp is still under 140* would it hurt to add more chunks? Thought just give meat some extra smoke.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do it all the time. I put chunks in my Minion method setup, but they often burn up earlier than I'd like.

Just add smallish chunks, so they get to a thin smoke quickly. It's like adding sticks to a stick burner. You want to add small amounts of wood at a time.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I distribute wood chunks throughout the lump. I try to arrange them in a way that one chunk will always be engaged.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
firefighter4634
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I distribute wood chunks throughout the lump. I try to arrange them in a way that one chunk will always be engaged.

That is my game plan as well. I spread the chunks out in the FAtboy fire pan so only one piece would be burning at any given time.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

I think the smoke ring stops developing at or around that temp.

I put about 4 fist/baseball size chunks throughout my charcoal on any given cook so there should always be a burning chunk.

As far as adding wood, go ahead, but you risk too much smoke.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
Before my WSM I had a big stick burner and the meat got constant hickory smoke throughout the who cook. Now with my WSM I was wondering, they say meat takes in smoke up to 140*. I always start my cook with 3 or 4 chunks then once they are done just just let the WSM do its thing.

Was wondering if my meat temp is still under 140* would it hurt to add more chunks? Thought just give meat some extra smoke.
To be honest, I never worry about it if I'm using a milder wood like apple to smoke. I just keep tossing chunks on the fire. Mesquite is a different story. I never quite understood the term over smoking.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote