MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #16
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

I am not sure how well this would work for a WSM or UDS. Has anyone tried one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Arm...item35bcb517d8

Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
Meat & Heat
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Does that have the problem that some (I) have with handling fiberglass insulation? Namely fiberglass fibers making my arms itch like crazy.
Yeah, but I had a coat on.
Still got a little itchy but it was free at the time, looking into some welding blakents for comps and such.
We do a comp up in northern CO in the summer and it can get into the thirties at night.
Meat & Heat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
va92bronco
On the road to being a farker

I use a old comforter from a king size bed. Been meaning to line the bottom with a welding blanket, but it works great for my smoker. I cut out the areas where it goes around the counter weight pipe and exhaust. then sewed the seams back. Works great and looks custom made (which it is I guess). The smoke has turned the back brown in a several places, but I could care less.
Damage BBQ 250gal offset reverse flow homemade smoker on 5x8 trailer named #2.
va92bronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
RX2006JE

I use 2 of the welding blankets from harbor freight stacked on top of each other then put a moving blanket over that. Works great. As mentioned before you can't just use the moving blankets by themselves unless you want to scrape it off your pit.
RX2006JE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #20
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
I went to harbor freight looking for a welding blanket and they didnt have any. So I bought moving blankets. Turns out they are pretty thin and melt when they get hot. DO NOT USE MOVING BLANKETS. Anyone want to buy two?
I've used the heavy felt-like movers blanket but they take on a lot of water if it's snowing. I borrowed a wool fire blanket from work and liked it so much I ordered a couple of wool blankets from a surplus store.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
BAD324
Got Wood.

With the frigid temps here and my desire to smoke more I think I'm going to look at the welding blanket route too
BAD324 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #22
aawa
Babbling Farker

PWA runs non-insulated UDS's off wicked good weekend warrior lump in -43F weather in AK and puts out some great looking food. No blankets needed according to him.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #23
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
PWA runs non-insulated UDS's off wicked good weekend warrior lump in -43F weather in AK and puts out some great looking food. No blankets needed according to him.
Probably more than the outside temp, it's the wind that affects my drums. When I blanket them I fold together until I have a 20" or so wide piece, three layers thick. I wrap this at grate level, not at the firebox. You can see a blanket above the center rib in this photo.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #24
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat & Heat View Post
Yeah, but I had a coat on.
Still got a little itchy but it was free at the time, looking into some welding blakents for comps and such.
We do a comp up in northern CO in the summer and it can get into the thirties at night.
Sissy!

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #25
accuseal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Does that have the problem that some (I) have with handling fiberglass insulation? Namely fiberglass fibers making my arms itch like crazy.
Welding blankets are made from fiberglass cloth that has been heat treated. All the little fuzzy stuff has been burned off so it wont get into your skin and make you itch.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk HD
accuseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #26
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

what smoker are you trying to wrap?
I use silver bubble wrap from Home Depot on my drum(been using the same piece for 5 years) and it gives me a 30 degree bump in grate temp.
My Egg only gets an umbrella when it rains.
My stick smoker doesn't get nuffin cause its a sunny day, get the whole clan, buddy. And I like looking at it as much as cooking on it.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #27
1dusty00a
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
I went to harbor freight looking for a welding blanket and they didnt have any. So I bought moving blankets. Turns out they are pretty thin and melt when they get hot. DO NOT USE MOVING BLANKETS. Anyone want to buy two?

Gotta agree with Jim!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT USE MOVING BLANKETS!!!! Besides Melting They WILL ruin the Paint on Your Smoker and definatly make it an UGLY Drum Smoker

Dusty
1dusty00a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #28
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

How about an old army blanket?

Last edited by Cayman1; 04-19-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Cayman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #29
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I use a welding blanket from Harbor Freight. Folded over and wrapped around does really well. I don't think it takes much insulation. Tip, don't use bungee chords to hold it on. They will melt. I need to pick up some tie downs with ratchets on them.

For ribs or something like that, I can do without the blanket by lighting a bigger fire and using more fuel. The blanket comes in handy for a 12 hr cook. I've done it without the blanket at -5*, but it used up all the fuel and needed refueling at like 10 hr.

Also, remember that wind is much worse that cold. So make sure your problem isn't the wind.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote