First big cook of the year was a success

shakeandbake72

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My first big cook of the year was a success. I was asked by two friends and coworkers to grill steaks for their wedding. They picked up the steaks from Sam's club on Thursday morning. They picked up 60 lbs of Sirloin steaks and had them sliced into what were supposed to be 1 1/2 inch steaks, but it was more like 1/2 to 3/4 inch. The steaks were very long(a foot or more)and thin. The steaks were not as nice as I would have liked, but they were very well received by the wedding guests.

Friday night I seasoned the steaks with my steak rub I have been working on for years and repackaged them in gallon size sip lock bags and put them back in the fridge.

Saturday morning I loaded up the grills, tent, and the cooler and went to the site of the wedding reception and set up. I used a CharGriller Super Pro and a CharGriller Outlaw to do all of the cooking. Once the grills were set up and the chimney starters were lit, I took out my cutting board and knife and cut the steaks into more managable sizes and removed all the gristle that I could find. This took about 30 minutes.

The steaks cooked very fast due to being so thin. I was really hopping from grill to grill to keep them from over cooking. I let them cook about 3 minutes per side, and then they were placed in an aluminum pan with the lid loosely on top of it and carried in to the reception hall at the church. We filled up 3 trays of steak. Everything was going great, until I realized that the people helping out in the reception hall were covering sealing the trays and placing them in chafing pans. A few got a little over cooked, but I received numerous compliments from the guests and from the bride and groom.

The Chargriller Outlaw cooked a little cooler then the Super Pro, but not by much. I was actually very impressed with the quality of both of these grills for direct cooking. I have been thinking about putting a offset smoker on the Super Pro, but they do so well with direct cooking that I am torn about my decision on the smoker box.

I had a great time at this cook, and I'm looking forward to my next chance to grill for a crowd on Memorial Day weekend. I am doing the cooking for a rehersal dinner for my friends wedding on the Friday before Memorial Day, I then get Saturday off to go to the wedding(I would rather be cooking), and then on Sunday and Memorial Day I have cookouts scheduled with 50 expected on Sunday and 100+ on Memorial Day.

I LoVE SUMMER TIME!!!:-D

Back