MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #16
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ummmm, HUH?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #17
Uncle T
Got Wood.

I would have to agree, if you vend and comp. at the same time, put the effort to win into both. I have never done vending and comp. together either, I have always gave out free samples after turn in (when it was allowed). Some event as stated wont let you vend if doing comp. I have had meals from top winners and yet their vending food was the pits.. I am not sure I could vend and do comp. together. I have a hard time wlking and chewing gum.. Yes aa one track mind here my wife tells me.. lol
Old 01-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I personally like my vending food better than comp food

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #19
rawtalent
On the road to being a farker

In SC you are supposed to get a TFE (Temporary Food Establishment) permit and won't be allowed to cook any food until you have been inspected by the health dept. Contact them to find out what you need. You can bring in precooked food but it has to come from a licensed commercial kitchen or commissary that you name on your permit application. Bringing it in cold and reheating is a no no.

I have competed and vended a few times and done ok in comp but always had a staff take care of vending while I concentrated on comp cooking. $5 a sammage is pretty standard but sometimes you can get $6.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

from another cook team.... from words from buyers at a comp.

when you vend, they, the public, expect it to be what you are turning in for comps.....

I was truly disappointed the first time I went as a spectator to a competition and my wife and myself bought some food.... expecting top quality and got the bottom of the barrel. The meat was tasteless, nothing on it, just cooked.... my work boots were more tender than the brisket, and my wife said the pork was full of fat. And this was all bought from a top name competitor several years ago.... and the people were lined up getting food.

So, my advice is to make sure if you do vend, vend what you would turn in, and you should get great reviews from the public and the word will spread and you will be BUSY..... just my $0.02 worth.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #21
Maddog's
Knows what a fatty is.

Right on, oh bro from NC.
To the new guy, you might want to consider vending an "ALTERNATIVE" to heavy BBQ. That is to say, try offering something else which isn't demanding to produce or serve, especially if others are vending the traditional BBQ heavy faire.
Twice last year while competing, we operated "Maddog's Dog House" where we offered all kinds of dogs and sausages with a zillion and one different topings including championship chili. Our big item was the $10 "Incinerator Ghost Dog". Hot link, big deli bun, pickled peppers, 5-alarm chili, onions and Oh, did I overlook the Bhut Jolokia Ghost Pepper Sauce just for good measure?!?
You should have seen the Firefighters lining up and challenging the Cops. It was "Who's man enough?" We were feeding them cold cottage cheese afterwards! It was hilarious!! Same event this year, that price is going up!
But the point is, that offered something aside from the standard BBQ items which most come there wanting but it also offered something for the little kids and we sell out when we do it. It doesn't kill us to do it and it's good cash on the side.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #22
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Interesting finding this thread here. Me and another Brethren are teaming up to compete together this summer and were JUST talking this morning about maybe trying our hands at vending at a couple of comps this year too. We're not sure exactly what menu items but are fully aware that we'll need some help working the counter and serving. Our significant others and other relatives are gonna be that help.

Not sure how big the menu should be. A giant menu just seems to mean more work and all, but may attract more customers. The turn ins come first, but we're trying to figure all that out....

Bottom line.....there was a team last year who came in 9th at a comp and made about 13 times more cash than the GC did because they also were vending. THAT is what I'm talking about!