• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Memphis In May 2012

TooSaucedToPork

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
It's that time of year again...

Time for all of us at Too Sauced To Pork to start planning for the Memphis in May Cookoff. If there are any Brethren that want to join the team for MIM give us a shout. As in years past, we will offer up the chance to cook any ancillaries that aren't claimed by regular team members to the Brethren...

Will post more details as the contest nears, just wanted to give everyone a heads up as MIM can be expensive...

Neil

I am interested. I's it the same as last year. $250.00 per category ? If my wife i's with me i's it $250.00 per person? Keith

I am interested. I's it the same as last year. $250.00 per category ? If my wife i's with me i's it $250.00 per person? Keith

Yes sir, and the wife/significant other is of course included with your contest fee, not extra.

We have always given each $250 member a 3 day wristband (good for in and out admission to the contest (Thurs-Sat), and if your wife comes we will buy her one as well. You also each get a team t-shirt and 6 guest wristbands for the booth (not good for admission into the park, just to eat, drink, and party for free in our booth Thursday-Saturday)

We always serve lunch & dinner (members volunteer to help cook or can sit back and enjoy), have all the beer, soda, and bottled water you can drink, a large frozen drink machine full of bourbon slush on one side and margaritas on the other, rest of the perks will be posted when we have a few meetings and decide them :-D

Neil

how do you guys get down there? drive, with all the equip. i assume?

do you stop overnight or drive in shifts?

how do you guys get down there? drive, with all the equip. i assume?

do you stop overnight or drive in shifts?

We have a north team (Buffalo) and a south team (Memphis)

We have all the south team's gear down in Memphis. I fly down along with the North team on the Saturday before the contest and we start setting up. No driving involved :)

Neil

I can testify to the fact that y'all are a fun and classy bunch of folk to hang out with.:thumb::thumb::becky:

We've still got our Swinebucks wrist bands from two years ago. They're collectors items now I hear...

ah, i see.

i poked around for a minute. looks like about a grand PP roundtrip air out of JFK and hotel in memphis. does that number sound right?

my wife has talked about memphis in may before so this just could be a beautiful thing, and i'm well, let's say, interested. :becky: :thumb:

ah, i see.

i poked around for a minute. looks like about a grand PP roundtrip air out of JFK and hotel in memphis. does that number sound right?

my wife has talked about memphis in may before so this just could be a beautiful thing, and i'm well, let's say, interested. :becky: :thumb:

If you find good airfare...(Wed nights after 11pm) I have found it for $256 round trip out of Buffalo (Newark usually about $290), and book the comfort inn or econo lodge downtown (you are not going to be spending much time at the hotel so why pay for all the amenities) about $110-$130 a night, plus the team fee...(your team fee covers all you can eat and drink all day and night :becky:) You can do the festival for about $1200 for two people. Alot of green I know, but its a full mile of Wednesday - Saturday pure porkin party...

The secret is to book early and get the hotel rooms before all the tourists do...you can always give 'em up with no fee.

Neil

This is one of the best ways to experience Memphis in May, get on a team... Too Sauced for pork has the best darn Margaritas and Lynchburg Lemonade... Ya just got to keep the double mint girls from getting in trouble... Thank goodness Bake will keep everybody in line

See you guys in MAY

Hey, your mailbox is full

We will take seafood and vinegar sauce and if no one claims chx we can do that also....

Hey, your mailbox is full

We will take seafood and vinegar sauce and if no one claims chx we can do that also....

They are yours. I think Shane is doin chicken, he's been having some success with it as of late and I think he is tired of the beef competition. As soon as we have the meeting next week I will let you know what is up.

If you find good airfare...(Wed nights after 11pm) I have found it for $256 round trip out of Buffalo (Newark usually about $290), and book the comfort inn or econo lodge downtown (you are not going to be spending much time at the hotel so why pay for all the amenities) about $110-$130 a night, plus the team fee...(your team fee covers all you can eat and drink all day and night :becky:) You can do the festival for about $1200 for two people. Alot of green I know, but its a full mile of Wednesday - Saturday pure porkin party...

The secret is to book early and get the hotel rooms before all the tourists do...you can always give 'em up with no fee.

Neil

can you help me find those rates?

hi neil, thank you, but thats 1 way. you had written 2 sumthin' round trip.

was that a typo/oersight or do you actually get roundtrip in the $200's?

gotta put the "package" together for the auditor, know what i mean? :becky:

Thats to and from...totally round trip :)

Found a better one
http://www.kayak.com/#flights/NYC,nearby-MEM/2012-05-15/2012-05-20/2adults

This one leaves on tues may 15th at 6am gets to memphis 952am

Leaves Memphis sun may 20th at 203pm and gets back east at 729pm...

price per person roundtrip - $276

thanks neil...maybe if i put the beer down i woulda read it correctly the first time. :roll:

Is there a website to fill out an application to compete in Memphis In May or is it another lottery competition?

Is there a website to fill out an application to compete in Memphis In May or is it another lottery competition?
http://www.memphisinmay.org/bbq

It will be here when they post it. Probably will be posted at the end of this month/ begining of Dec. It is a open lottery contest.

MIM auto admits the top 20 of each pork catagory from the year before. They also admit the Winners of each of the ancillary contests. From there it becomes a lottery, MIM gathers the remaining applications and on a specific day holds a blind lottery to pick who else will be given spots.

We are then sent emails and letters notifying us that we are in. Applications are turned in from Dec-Feb and they announce the spots in March. First time team meeting is in April (if you want to attend) and we start setting up a week before the contest on Saturday May 12th

Back