MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
garbageman59
On the road to being a farker

Default My "New" stainless smoker project......

I'm a long time reader. New to posting. This is my work in progress. I found this in a construction dumpster a few years ago (It is a chinese duck smoker that was gas fired) and I am finally getting around to replacing my ten y.o. current model that is similar but narrower.

This is the box that will mount on the side.

Misc. parts including charcoal grate made from 1" stainless propeller shaft from SkiNautique.

Already have a new Stoker ready to go. I'm going to line the 1'x1" framed box with IsoKern, a volcanic composite fireplace liner. Then wrap in stainless "skin".

Any thoughts..........
garbageman59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Murray in N.Z.

My thoughts... pharking awesome...
None of this "just open wallet and instant smoker" stuff...

Bludge, Borrow, Adapt and Make is the way to get real fun smokers.

Regds and Respect!
Muzza.
Murray in N.Z. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

I like your ideas and smoker and look forward to seeing it done.
BTW- your one picture gave me the idea for a cocacola themed UDS.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
garbageman59

It would be seriously hard on the wallet to buy one! The box new is over $5k. I don't like the idea of a pretty painted vertical that would die in a year if left outside. They threw it away because the bottome (which was galvanized steel) failed from the water sitting in 1 back corner. Replaced the bottom with 1/8" stainless and she's good to go. Hoping it's my last smoker for MANY years.

Thanks

Old 09-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
garbageman59

The Coke cooler! Good eye. That thig is going on Ebay ASAP! Looks like it was used maybe once and doesn't have a scratch on it.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
bones64
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Just picked one of these up on CL I think mine may be a little smaller. still a nice cooker. I was thinking of putting a fire box on mine but after seeing yours I may wait to see how the gravity system workes. Good luck keep us posted.
cooker1.jpg

cooker2.jpg

cooker3.jpg

Last edited by bones64; 09-19-2011 at 07:54 PM..
bones64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

do you check the construction dump regularly or did you just happen to be strolling by on the right day at the right place at the right time? because that is probably one of the best finds ever.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
garbageman59

Just Lucky. I knew what it was and saw two guys slide it out of their truck and they left it leaning against the dumpster on one of my jobs. I thanked them and called some buddies to help load into my truck and have had it waiting in my "project line". My current smoker is very similar but only 24" wide and I made the firebox in the bottom with gas assist for lighting. I have used it for 10 years. It is all stainless as well. Wanted to play with gravity feed and got a close look inside a few production models. I have done zero testing but I think my design will work based on others I have reverse engineered. I wanted to keep the chute and box completely separate. Should get a test fire in a few weeks. I'll keep posting as it comes together.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
garbageman59

What did you have to give for it? That looks a lot like the one I'm using now. It has served me well but it only holds 6 slabs at a time and you really have to keep an eye on it. The new one will go 15 at a time. The gravity feed is the only way to go. I'm hoping with the Stoker it's set it and forget it.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
bones64
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I gave $300.00 for it. My brother in law has a fab. shop and is going to put a fire box off the back and more shelves then mount it to a trailer should be a good cooker it is very well insulated so it should'nt take much to heat. he is going to start next week so I'll post pics as i get them.
bones64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
garbageman59

Thats a great deal. I gave $100 for my first one on Ebay 10 years ago and it cost me $150 to ship it down from NY. The burners were all rotted out so nobody bid on it. I think you did very well. Free was better but that doesn't happen often. They make the bottoms and inside out of galvanized steel so that is how I got #2. One of the legs collapsed through the floor and it became unusable as a restaurant appliance. If I had a brother in law that could fab I'd be in heaven! He'd screen my phone calls!

Old 09-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #12
garbageman59

Default Forward Progress

Installed the firebox liner today with the help of Uncle Joe. He is an amazing 50+ year stone setter who is a great help with anything stone/masonry/tile related. Couldn't have got pieces to fit nearly as tight without a pro. We had to tap them in place with a mallet. The material is called IsoKern. It is designed to be a fireplace material. It is made of portland and crushed volcanic rock. 2000 degrees on one side and cool to the touch on the other.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

<------ super jealous pit envy mod.

I'm lovin it! Keep the pics coming!

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #15
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Lookin good so far! Keep up the good work! Nice job on the isokern.