MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

Default How long can I hold Pork Butts safely?

I am going to cook 100lbs of pork butt for a friends daughters wedding. The reception starts at 7 on sat., I was planning on having the butts done and wrapped in preheated ice chests by 3-4 o'clock, does this sound OK or is that too long to hold in ice chest? Any suggestions are appreciated, Also I was goint to leave the butts whole and let the caterer pull when need, what do you think about that.. Thanks in advance
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

You will be fine, just keep above 135 degrees. I have cooked 10 butts before and 10 hours later they would still be so hot in a cooler you could not pull them by hand with out gloves.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
grill 'em all
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
You will be fine, just keep above 135 degrees. I have cooked 10 butts before and 10 hours later they would still be so hot in a cooler you could not pull them by hand with out gloves.
my hands and i can vouch for that..i did 4 butts over the 4th of july..rested em in a cooler for 4 hrs..when i started pullin em,i think i got 3rd degree burns on my hands..that chit was HOT!!! could have rested em 4 more hrs.. you'll be fine bro
grill 'em all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

Yes, you will be fine with the pre heated insulated cooler. I save my hands by putting on cotton gloves first and then the latex ones over that. Still it can be pretty warm, but not burning hot. Best of luck to you!
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
BbqRyan
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I'm cooking in a small contest in October. Wondering if 2 butts would be enough for 100 samples or if I should go with 3. Also, does anyone on here rent a camper?
BbqRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Ryan how big are your samples?

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
JohnR
Got rid of the matchlight.

I had 3 butt in wrapped in foil and in a cooler for 7 hours(I kinda forgot about them) and they were still well above the minimum temperature.
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

i've gone ten hours several times. they are still hot. you will be good
southernstyle is offline   Reply With Quote