MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Honestly, how legal do you roll?

Without incriminating yourself, answer these questions if you don't mind. I'm curious to see the consensus...

1. Where do you sell? Do you cater? Do you sell at fairs, parades, farmers markets? A roadside stand?
2. Where do you prepare your food? In a rented kitchen? At home? Has this area been inspected and approved by the HD?
3. Do you have a business license and/or tax ID?
4. How much money do you generate, without subtracting expenses or labor?
5. Anybody ever sell BBQ at a stand on the road?
twinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

1. Where do you sell? Road side Do you cater? Yes Do you sell at fairs, parades, farmers markets? Festivals and Fairs, Special Events A roadside stand? Yes
2. Where do you prepare your food? In my mobile kitchen In a rented kitchen? At home? Has this area been inspected and approved by the HD? Yes
3. Do you have a business license and/or tax ID? Yes and Inc.
4. How much money do you generate, without subtracting expenses or labor? Varies a lot, the highs are hi and the lows are low, not getting rich.
5. Anybody ever sell BBQ at a stand on the road? Yes
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

What ever happened to those stands on the country road serving 'cue sandwiches without a script of paperwork...
Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

1. Where do you sell? Roadside / Convenience Store Do you cater? Yes Do you sell at fairs, parades, farmers markets? A Little A roadside stand? Trailer
2. Where do you prepare your food? Trailer and at home / seperate building. Has this area been inspected and approved by the HD? Yes
3. Do you have a business license and/or tax ID? Both
4. How much money do you generate, without subtracting expenses or labor? Wow, that's personal. Over $100,000 is as far as I'll narrow it down.
5. Anybody ever sell BBQ at a stand on the road? See Above
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Damn, can't believe all these people r legal.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you are running a real business, there is a benefit to doing it right and legal, actually, there are several. Least of which is that you can actually do the things that allow you to make money, real money, becuase you are a legitimate business. There is also sleeping well at night becuase you do not worry about being checked. And then there is the whole ethics angle, where doing things per the law is just how you roll.

1. Where do you sell? Do you cater? Do you sell at fairs, parades, farmers markets? A roadside stand? A couple of times, maybe three times a year, I cater an event. Private only.
2. Where do you prepare your food? In a rented kitchen? At home? Has this area been inspected and approved by the HD? I prepare the food on-site, service is hot and I control all elements. It is not, nor is it requiired to be inspected.
3. Do you have a business license and/or tax ID? I have a seperate business from the catering, but, since I am working privately under my own name, I simply record and report the income under by SSN. If I needed to report a larger income, I can just roll it into my tax I.D. number
4. How much money do you generate, without subtracting expenses or labor? I cover only my showing up and cooking, all other expenses are paid by the client. I make between $300 and $1000 per event.
5. Anybody ever sell BBQ at a stand on the road? no

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsfan View Post
We rolled illegal for a couple weeks 7 years ago. In today's litigeous society, it just isn't worth it.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Argh, I was wondering since I'm planning on selling at three town fairs/parades (Town Day, Memorial Day, maybe July 4th, and local fair) and I was wondering how legal I should go.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
deguerre

Quote:
Argh, I was wondering since I'm planning on selling at three town fairs/parades (Town Day, Memorial Day, maybe July 4th, and local fair) and I was wondering how legal I should go.
As legal as you possibly can. If you're unlicensed, and just one person decides to complain or God forbid get's sick (even if it's not your fault but...) and sues, it's all over.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
OL' Timer
On the road to being a farker

1. Where do you sell? " vend on roadside Do you cater? "Yes" Do you sell at fairs, parades, farmers markets?"Yes, Yes, and Yes" A roadside stand?
2. Where do you prepare your food? "In HD approved and inspected trailer" In a rented kitchen? At home? Has this area been inspected and approved by the HD?
3. Do you have a business license and/or tax ID? "Yes"
4. How much money do you generate, without subtracting expenses or labor? "six figures"
5. Anybody ever sell BBQ at a stand on the road? "Most every week when no events or catering" And don't forget to get liability insurance, very important.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
pigoutbarbecue
Found some matches.

1. Where do you sell? roadside Do you cater? yes Do you sell at fairs, parades, farmers markets? yes A roadside stand? yes
2. Where do you prepare your food? in HD inspected and certified trailer In a rented kitchen? At home? Has this area been inspected and approved by the HD?you bet
3. Do you have a business license and/or tax ID?both and so much more
4. How much money do you generate, without subtracting expenses or labor? a little on the personal side there hoss
5. Anybody ever sell BBQ at a stand on the road? 5 days a week
pigoutbarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
landarc

Quote:
I would contact the fair or event organizers about what they are going to require. There are often differences in every municipality. You can also check into using a church kitchen or other kitchen resource if you are serving non-packaged food. There are options for specific events that may not apply if you are running a regular business.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
caseydog

Quote:
As a teenager, now is a good time to learn to avoid shortcuts. Do your research, obey the law, then work hard.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Twinsfan, check your state. In Virginia you can pull up to 4 temporary permits to vend at festivals or roadside per year with out having all the legal stuff. It costs like $40 per permit and HD comes that morning and checks you out.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
Big Darb
Knows what a fatty is.

Good answers! You never know when one of those HD types are around.