Time frame?

SourMash

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
First off, let me introduce myself--My name is Andy and I don't have alot of experience in cooking my own BBQ. I've eaten lots and lots over the years, but I've recently wanting to start cooking my own. I drooled over the UDS enough that I built one last week and cooked a pork shoulder on it last Sat., it turned out great. Now I'm cooking ribs on it for my Parents tomorrow and I don't know how long to allow them to cook. I'm assuming I should be running the heat around 250*-275*. So what do you say?

andy, first off welcome...!

next, the uds is an awesome smoker and cooks a bit faster than anticipated due to the efficiency (ask me how i know!)

i cook at 250 for about 120 min, then foil with a splash of apple juice for another 45-60 min, turn up the heat, sauce grill and serve.

Hi, Andy and welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of different answers to your question because there are so many ways to cook great ribs.

According to my avatar, 275F is the perfect temp but 250 will work well too. If you have no issues with using foil, cook for about 2.5 hours then foil with any liquid you prefer such as water, apple juice, or chicken broth. Let them stay in the foil for about 2.5 hours and check them for tenderness. If they are about where you want them, remove them from the foil and put on a little of you BBQ sauce and let them continue to cook until they are at the tenderness you want.

Just remember, don't get in a hurry, keep things simple, and have fun. And, post your results back here for us to celebrate with you.

What type of ribs? Pork, beef, chicken? :becky: Loin backs, untrimmed spares, St. louis trimmed spares? It makes a difference. Also, the size of the rack makes a difference.

As far as temp, you'll find that your UDS has a temperature where it like to run and is most efficient. Whatever that temp is, use it because your fuel will last longer and you won't be fighting the temps.

When I cook loin backs I cook them at about 260 degrees. I look for racks that are around 2.5 lbs. I typically cook them for 4 hours total, 2 hours without foil, 1 hour in foil and then 15 - 30 out of the foil to set the glaze. When I take them out of the foil I decide how much more time they need (if any).

Thanks for the help! These are smithfield babybacks, bout 3 lbs a piece. Looks like I'm about to go fire up the UDS. Wish me luck...

Back