• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My YouTube video of my UDS cooking St. Louis style ribs...

Unfathomable Bastid

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey folks,

In honor of my friends at BBQ Brethren, I decided to show off my horrendously ugly UDS for you guys to laugh at. I also shot the entire thing on my iPhone, which means you get a completely screwed up aspect ratio as well :p

But, truth be told, I owe you guys a lot for the support and the time to answer my stupid questions over the last several months. My UDS has become a fixture in the family, and I am now the defacto pitmaster to all who know me. I've even had experienced Q-eaters tell me that my UDS produces competition caliber grub. That's nothing short of amazing. Not bad for a Yankee jew-boy who just two years ago couldn't even tell you how to grill a steak.

Comments appreciated on the terrible video!

YouTube - ‪BBQ Pork Ribs on a UDS‬‏

- Unfathomable Bastid

Good looking ribs!!! :clap: Thanks for the video, always enjoy watching a good smoke until I can get time to do my own.

i think you are looking for "efficient" :p

nice!

nice video....thanks for doing it...so if you would have put them back on for an hour would they be overdone? sorry newbie question

Nice job with the video :)

In the beginning you said you were going to work at 225° but I didn't hear you mention anything about the pit temp during the rest of the cook. Were you able to get it to settle in at 225°? Also, help educate me on the UDS process here... When you opened the lid after the first three hours, did your temp spike? If so, did it settle back down quickly?

I'm a rib freak....nice video! I used to do the 321 for my ribs too. It always works well but after a few years I decided I wanted my ribs more barky, so I got rid of the foil. Man those are some good lookin ribs, I'm sure you enjoyed!

Nice looking Ribs and a cool video. However my wife is going to kill me when I tell her that I need to find a RED Smokey Joe:heh:

Nice job with the video :)

In the beginning you said you were going to work at 225° but I didn't hear you mention anything about the pit temp during the rest of the cook. Were you able to get it to settle in at 225°? Also, help educate me on the UDS process here... When you opened the lid after the first three hours, did your temp spike? If so, did it settle back down quickly?

Hey JMSetzler, thanks for the comment! I'm a hack at the whole video thing, and shot it all on an iPhone. My 9-year old daughter helped me with it.

So on my pit, one of the things I discovered early on is that the temp gauge on the side of the barrel runs about 50 degrees cooler than the actual center of the barrel. So if I want 225, the side temp gauge should read around 175, make sense? I try to keep my lid on the barrel as much as possible, but as you indicate - a spike (50 degrees or so) will happen with the increased airflow of the opened lid. Takes about 15-20 mins to settle back down. Once the thing settles at 225, I can cap 2 of the 3 pipe nipples and it will be locked down at 225 for as long of a burn as I want. The UDS is a fantastic design!

For ribs - I have my pit at 225 for ALL phases of the cook.

-Bastid

I'm a rib freak....nice video! I used to do the 321 for my ribs too. It always works well but after a few years I decided I wanted my ribs more barky, so I got rid of the foil. Man those are some good lookin ribs, I'm sure you enjoyed!

Thanks Lonestar! The ribs were KILLER, I must admit. My wife is also a big fan of making the "Cola Rib Sauce" featured in the Weber Grill Cookbook. I have to say, the combo of properly smoked ribs, with the cola homemade sauce, creates a rib experience few people get up here in Michigan.

First time making St. Louis cut spare ribs, also.

-Bastid

nice video....thanks for doing it...so if you would have put them back on for an hour would they be overdone? sorry newbie question

Hi Shinobi,

To answer your question - no. They wouldn't be overdone. An hour at 225 shouldn't dramatically impact they doneness of ribs, but it DOES firm up the ribs a bit after having them tented in the foil. My wife likes her ribs completely fall off the bone, so I stopped the cook after the foiling. But if you prefer a bit more pull, put them back on without the foil for 30-60 mins to extract some of that moisture.

-Bastid

Back