Smoked Whisky

Interesting. I've had smoke beer before, but never heard of smoked whiskey. Sounds good!

Well I don't know for sure, but being that Whyskey is distilled in the 160 to 180 degree F range, I would that yes they are cold smoking it.

Wonder if you could smoke things like mustard or Ketchup?

John

I don't understand the purpose in it to begin with. Most good whiskey is aged in oak barrels and it already has a ton of that flavor. Oaked beers are either aged in oak barrels also or fermented with oak chips in the fermenter...

Hardly an imposing device, the little box sits behind the restaurant in the alley, belching out tasty aromas. "We've already had two stolen this year," Pandel told us, and we admitted that we weren't sure why someone would walk away with something so humble-looking

He's kidding ...right?

Its a shame distilling is frowned upon by .gov type bodies in the US, i've thought a few times of the neat creations that could be made at home.

I sure don't get it. Although there are significant differences between bourbon, American whiskeys and Scotch, I just don't see why you would feel the need to smoke bourbon. It seems like an attempt to do something just to be able to do it. The great thing about Maker's Mark is that it is clean, light and sweet. Now, I could see someone doing a small batch whiskey with smoked malt, that might have the same benefit as a rauchbier.

BTA I have been to Maker Marker distillery , the county it is made in is a dry county, all of lids are hand dip

I can see it the way they are using it but not for sippin.

I don't believe letting a good spirit sit out in a steam pan in a smoker can be good for it.

If you need more smoke flavor in the cocktail, smoke the cherry instead:laugh:

Exposing liquor to even a small amount of heat will cause the alcohol to start evaporating. I hope this Manhattan comes at a discount price, because it can't be that strong.

Maker's Mark is one of the few "decent" whiskeys I've had that I just cannot drink. It comes off harsh and just unappealing compared to most. I realize I'm probably in a very small minority on this one. Still, give my Irish whiskey or something like Knob Creek over MM any day!

I do like scotch and can see the appeal of adding more smoke flavor, but I guess my inclination would be to reach for a bottle of something smokier to begin with. Seems like they are really trying to capitalize on the novelty/gimmick here.

I've seen on YouTube, people using handheld cold smokers (can't remember the brand name) to infuse the smoke into a container of whiskey/bourbon for a few minutes. The devise is also used by cooks to smoke other foods very quickly.

Go buy a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green Label. All sorts of smoke flavor, already added, and you don't run the risk of spillage or evaporation.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Matt

Back