• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket for slicing.

B

BrooklynQ

Gentlemen and ladies;

A local deli man has asked me to provide him with BBQ brisket to sell. He wants to be able to slice it for sandwiches, on an slicer, just like he'd slice corned beef (brisket) or pastramimi (also brisket.) He wants to slice it THIN. He doesn't slice anything by hand, and doing so would seriously slow down his lunch crowd turnover.

So far all my attempts at cooking brisket to that consistency have failed. My meat just doens't hold up when sliced that thin. If I can get it thin enough, it's not as tender as I want. If it's tender, it falls apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

impossible i say! you cannot have thin and moist. It is a choice you have to make.

Not unless he is willing to use a microwave. For a thin slice AND tender meat I usual slice it straight out of a very cold fridge. I'm looking forward to an answer that only a brother would have though.

Cook to 185 internal and wrap in foil place in a dry cooler for couple of hours. Cool then deliver.
If you take the internal much higher it will tough to get consistant slices. It will be tender.

For what he wants to do chuck roll or clod would be a better choice, less shrinkage during the cook also.

jminion said:
For what he wants to do chuck roll or clod would be a better choice, less shrinkage during the cook also.

I've never used them - would they have the same taste? be just as tender?

Brooklyn, sounds like you got a good gig, if you can make him happy.

Thin slices provide more surface area of the meat and therfore provides more flavor per sandwhich. Not to mention that the thinner slicer are inherently more tender. If the thin slices are falling apart, I would have to say that the brisket is slightly overcooked. I would suggest that you cut back on the cook time just a little and that should help firm up the slices. You obviously want a tender brisket, but even thin slices should hold together. This will make for some very yummy sliced brisket sammies.

Not really an answer, but a question.

Would slicing "on a bias" or even "with the grain" help?
Or, would "with the grain" be too hard to eat, even if it was super thin?

Just wondering :oops:

TIM

Chuck clod and roll are large front shoulder cuts. In Texas clod is the beef served in place of brisket in a lot of BBQ joints. You can take roll or clod off at 180 internal ans slice across the grain should work real well with great beef flavor. The shrinkage is 25 to 30% instead of 50% plus with brisket. Clod and roll is the beef of choice for my beef when vending.
Jim

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

jminion said:
Clod and roll is the beef of choice for my beef when vending.

What do you market that as? Can you still call it brisket? I don't think a clod sammich would cut it in Brooklyn. BBQ Brisket is exotic enough.

I don't understand why it has to be so thin. When i make a brisket samich i use a couple of slices about 5/16 in. thick on a crusty sandwich roll. slather BBQ sauce(home made) on it and it's to die for. Most commercial slicers will slice that thick.

i think the thinness of the slices will compensate for a little less ttender if you dont cook it to the poiint we are accustomed. If you bring it to 180-185 and cooler it for a bit it should slice well. In our world, 1/4 or thicker slices is the normal case and the brisket is fall apart tender, but that aint the deli world case they need firmness. With thin slices, it will still be tender enough to eat and have the BBQ flavor.

Just make him promise not to serve thick 1/4 inch slices cause then your reputation goes down the tubes.

Actually, instead of a clod (which is a confusing piece of meat to seperate into it's parts) try an inside round - this is used, often, as the roast been sliced on cafeteria lines. They are lean so you would not want to overcook them -- however, taking them to say 145 or so (check with the deli to see how rare he wants it) - most of the inside rounds I used to cook were around 17-20 pounds and unlike brisket they are not thin, flat pieces of meat.

The clod would work, too, but I'd break it down into the seperate pieces - otherwise you are looking a a truly large piece of meat. Now, my experience was with IBP primal cuts ordered in by the case -- this is how you'll want to get your orders -- check with SYSCO, GFS, USFoods, or other wholesalers for case lots -- Sam's or Costco would work, too.

Good luck. Just think of all the trials you'll need to run!! :D Hope your family and friends like bbq beef, a lot.

Oh yeah, the Bandera probably won't be big enough for these cuts. :twisted:

I don't know what Clod tastes like, I guess that's what sliced beef is in BBQ places in TX and OK?

A couple of months ago I was looking to make deli thin roast beef slices and used an eye of round. Smoked to about 145 then chilled overnight. Next morning I used my slicer and sliced into very thin slices and it was excellent. Although, it had more of a roast beef flavor than the sliced beef you get at bbq places, maybe because there was no bbq sauce? I Food saved and still have sandwich meat left in the freezer.

A shoulder clod - in it's entirety averages a little over 22 pounds. Within the clod are several "cuts" that we see at the retail level: shoulder steaks, shoulder roasts, trimmings and stew meat, etc.

Here's a pic of a "clod". As you can see even from a picture - there are several "seams" that can be exploited to break this primal cut down into the "subprimals" and then into the retail cuts.

The next lesson will cover rounds! :D Just kidding, I quit here. I know I'm going to catch flak anyway!!

Yeah, where is the round rump arse in all that subprimal goodness? =)

BigBelly said:

That's another lesson! Right now we're dealing with the chuck and associated cuts - round rump arse is the other end!! :D

DFLittle said:
BigBelly said:

That's another lesson! Right now we're dealing with the chuck and associated cuts - round rump arse is the other end!! :D

...where's the chusck come from?.....

Back