MOINKS pron (Sous Vide then BBQ'd)

Ryan Abood

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I'm always trying something different so for SB Sunday wanted to do MOINKS, cooked sous vide then finished on the BBQ.

Laid down Saran Wrap, placed bacon then meatball.
MOINK%20%2814%29.JPG

Seasoned bacon with Plowboys Yardbird. No toothpicks required!
MOINK%20%2811%29.JPG

Wrapped them individually, then placed them in sous vide bag.
MOINK%20%2812%29.JPG

After 2.5 hours in 140F water bath.
MOINK%20%285%29.JPG

Stoked Mini Bullet
MOINK%20%2818%29.JPG

225F for 1.5 hrs
MOINK%20%283%29.JPG

Sauced, done.
MOINK%20%2819%29.JPG

I don't know...I just don't know...

(Are those beef meatballs?)

Do the cooked meatballs take on a good smoke flavor? Where they somehow more tender?

I don't know...I just don't know...
That's the response I was going for:crazy:.

(Are those beef meatballs?)
Yes, all beef meatballs, no fillers, salt and pepper only.

That looks awesome, what did you glaze them with?
QN4U Clover Style BBQ Sauce, with butter, brown suger and agave nectar.

Do the cooked meatballs take on a good smoke flavor? Where they somehow more tender?
Took on a lot of smoked flavor from bacon prior to BBQing. Than more on the BBQ. More Tender? That was the idea but the ground beef (Trader Joes 80/20) was a course grind and should of either been ground again or cooked in water bath longer, to break down collagen more.

Ohh yum, sous vide, just what we need in BBQ, maybe we all start using micro greens in our platting, and try to foam everything, maybe we break down and reconstruct BBQ sauce, or even better bacon. Can’t wait….

You might start a new trend! Microwave MOINKs? Crock Pot MOINKs? Toaster Oven MOINKs? Deep Fried MOINKs? (wait, that one sounds good!)

Just kidding, those actually look great!

Looks like alot of trouble to make, but way too easy to eat :thumb:

I just really hope nobody does a search warrant on my hard drive and finds all this PRON, OMG, bring on the PRON :twisted:

You might start a new trend! Microwave MOINKs? Crock Pot MOINKs? Toaster Oven MOINKs? Deep Fried MOINKs? (wait, that one sounds good!)

Just kidding, those actually look great!

Easy-Bake-Oven using Lincoln Logs for fuel MOINKs?

If your water temp is 140, it may be too low, I read that collagen starts to melt at 160.. Good post though, thank you.:clap2:
http://www.edinformatics.com/math_sc...ow_cooking.htm
That is the case for conventional cooking, but according to one of the leaders in sous vide research, Dr. Douglas Baldwin, "This tenderizing is caused by weakening of connective tissue and proteolytic enzymes decreasing myofibrillar tensile strength. Indeed, collagen begins to dissolve into gelatin above 122°F to 131°F (50°C to 55°C) (Neklyudov, 2003; This, 2006)."
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Tough_Meat
That is why you can sous vide a rack of ribs for 72 hours at 135F and have them bite off the bone tender yet cooked to medium rare.

The real question is, did they taste any better than if you would have just smoked them all the way?

Was it worth all the extra time and effort? Or, were you fixing something that wasn't broken?
The end result was not worth the effort. As is the case for most things done for the first time, if i were to try again, I will tweak some things to try to get better result.

Ohh yum, sous vide, just what we need in BBQ, maybe we all start using micro greens in our platting, and try to foam everything, maybe we break down and reconstruct BBQ sauce, or even better bacon. Can’t wait….

Too funny! But you forgot to mention molecular cooking-the latest craze in modern gastronomy.
PS-I have half a vial of maltodextrin that I won't be using for sale:crazy:

Just being a little sarcastic. I love learning new techniques that I didn't even know existed and I watch every cooking show out there. ( I saw maltodextrin and molecular cooking on Chopped!) Ryan obviously knows alot more about cooking than I do. I look forward to your next experiment.

Back