• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Serv Safe Certified!!

ZBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I just found out that I passed the Serv Safe Course!!

I know this is bragging but....... I passed with a 98%!!

My business partner passed with a 93% also!!

I was really worried about the test and studied my arse off because it figured
it would be really hard.

When I got into the test I kept thinking, "OK, where are the HARD questions?" and
"Is this a trick question? This seems too easy."

There wasn't a single question about identifying the pathogens or their
symptoms.......go figure.

We took it at the local Health Dept. and they prepped us really well for the test.

We know the guy at the H.D. pretty well and he told us that we should consider
becoming instructors. He said that anyone who scores over 90% can become an
instructor and charge whatever they want to students.....but you have to buy the instructor materials.
I haven't checked them out yet but I'm sure they aren't cheap.

Do any of you guys have experience with being an instructor for Serv Safe?

I just found out that I passed the Serv Safe Course!!

I know this is bragging but....... I passed with a 98%!!

My business partner passed with a 93% also!!

I was really worried about the test and studied my arse off because it figured
it would be really hard.

When I got into the test I kept thinking, "OK, where are the HARD questions?" and
"Is this a trick question? This seems too easy."

There wasn't a single question about identifying the pathogens or their
symptoms.......go figure.

We took it at the local Health Dept. and they prepped us really well for the test.

We know the guy at the H.D. pretty well and he told us that we should consider
becoming instructors. He said that anyone who scores over 90% can become an
instructor and charge whatever they want to students.....but you have to buy the instructor materials.
I haven't checked them out yet but I'm sure they aren't cheap.

Do any of you guys have experience with being an instructor for Serv Safe?

Congrats! :biggrin:

I guess it depends on what the course costs in your area. I paid $110 for my one day class & exam (Los Angeles area). What'd it run you at your Health Dept?

I guess it depends on what the course costs in your area. I paid $110 for my one day class & exam (Los Angeles area). What'd it run you at your Health Dept?

Thanks for the cudos guys

I paid $100 at the HD.
16 hours of instruction over 2 days and then the test on the 3rd day.
I've heard that the book costs $80. (ServSafe Essentials 5th edition)
Not sure how they can justify $80 for a soft cover book that's no more than
1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick.

But, whatever, we passed, that's the important part.

congrats!!!

I remember asking a neighboring teammate (2 years back at Lake Placid) if I could please use their laptop to see if I passed.

I have never heard that you can be an instructor if you get over 90... that's something to look into up my way.

Yes it is true, I also passed with a 98% and I hold an instructors certification.
I have it because my high school students take it in their senior year and hopefully they get certified.

SERVSAFE is a certification program developed by the National Restaurant Association (NRA) in 1995. The focus of this program is to train foodservice handlers about general food safety principles and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) concepts. The ServSafe program has become the industry standard in food safety training. The ServSafe program provides accurate, up-to-date information for all levels of employees on all aspects of handling food, from receiving and storing to preparing and serving.

BASC realizes that it is our obligation to serve safe food and has over 75 employees that are currently ServSafe certified. We are very proud of our past track record and will continue our commitment to serving safe food to our customers. :drama:

Servsafe certification, Servsafe online

SERVSAFE is a certification program developed by the National Restaurant Association (NRA) in 1995. The focus of this program is to train foodservice handlers about general food safety principles and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) concepts. The ServSafe program has become the industry standard in food safety training. The ServSafe program provides accurate, up-to-date information for all levels of employees on all aspects of handling food, from receiving and storing to preparing and serving.

BASC realizes that it is our obligation to serve safe food and has over 75 employees that are currently ServSafe certified. We are very proud of our past track record and will continue our commitment to serving safe food to our customers. :drama:

Is it that easy and cheap? This online course look like the way to go. Just to be clear, is this recognized as State/HD approved course? Is there a follow up or re-certification required?
thanks Mike

I managed to get 98% by "taking" the online course. I ran it in the background on my PC for a couple of days while making dinner and stuff, studied for about 20 minutes before test time and nailed it, got a handwritten note from the proctor saying I should instruct. No thanks.

Don't waste your time sitting in the class for two days, online is the way to go. If you have a functioning brain you could probably get 75% right now.

Online sound like a "slow grounder". I would definatly do this rather than a two day, or one day class for that matter. Question is , Is this the same certificate that I will need anywhere, just as if i took a live class?
Thanks Mike

Even if you take the online course you still have to go to an approved location to take a proctored exam, you receive the same certification as the people who took the two day class.

Thanks for the cudos guys

I paid $100 at the HD.
16 hours of instruction over 2 days and then the test on the 3rd day.
I've heard that the book costs $80. (ServSafe Essentials 5th edition)
Not sure how they can justify $80 for a soft cover book that's no more than
1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick.

But, whatever, we passed, that's the important part.

Mine was $100 and it was a 6 hr course with videos and they tested us at the end pretty easy test all common sense

Back