HOW much noise does that harbor freight grass torch make ?
It sounds a little bit like a jet engine:lol: You will draw a croud using it. There is also a considerable smell of burning paint. I wouldn't recomend doing it in a residential neighborhood, but I know others have.

OK, how come no one told me that if your fat, when you lay the drum on it's side and reach inside the drum to put the nuts on the firebox support bolts at the bottom, you will block all the light?!!?

That said, I will have pics this weekend.

Only thing left is the holes for the lid and the cooking grill. Then put in the support bolts for the cooking grill and I'm smokin'.

Jeff

Well if you cut to bottom of the drum out like I did you don't have to crawl inside the drum. You also don't have to crawl inside to clean it out either, just pick it up and move it to the side.

Man OSD I wish I could weld like that!!!!!
There are several mods I want to do but the lack or welding skills and welder hold me back.

Don't you guys watch football? lol

0905barrel.jpg

:lol: funny stuff.. Is this guy's name , Bronco Billy?

DRUM smoker LID

Are there any grill lids that will fit a drum besides a Weber?

I think a lot of the Weber knockoffs like charbroil, sears, etc will work .

My wife wants to know if it's his BBQ kilt! She just doesn't appreciate my kilts!

I have been looking for a Weber kettle lid for my drum smoker with no luck. But I can buy a whole weber grill for $40 and 90 miles away. Is this a deal or should I pass:?::roll:

Don't know what your drum cost you, but I like the idea of being a total drumhead.

Here is a pic of the lid for my UDG it is 6" tall. My UDS lid is a bit taller at 10", but it was my first try and I don't think it has to be that tall. For the UDG lid I used the top 6" of a closed drum and the lid of an open head drum.

I took a saws-all and using the guide cut the center out of the lid then welded it to the 6" top of the donor drum. I have some finish welding to get done but went ahead and painted most of it. It fits real nice since it is the lid from a drum to start with. I plan on doing the same with my UDS lid, cutting it a bit shorter and welding to a donor lid.

Gotta love the look!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It must be early for i don't have a clue what you did there.....more pics please !

As for the up pipe....any issues with using a new piece of exhaust pipe?

And I see everyone has the up pipe off to the side on a flat top? Im not sure where Im going flat top or use the weber top for it.

Bubba, I hope these photos help. The lid is made of the top 6" of a donor drum welded to the flat lid from another drum.

The first three pics are of a lid with the cutout circle another lid on top of it.
The top two show the blue cutout sitting on the white top of a lid.

In the second pic imagine that the blue circle is the cutout area leaving a white ring.

The third one is of the lids turned over, you can see the remains of the gasket that I have not cleaned off yet.

The last two are of the all but painted and a bit of welding finished lid. I hope you can see the 6" part fit inside the curved edge of the other lid.

OK I got my Drum - I opted for the Closed Drum and had both ends deheaded and two lids and the remnants from the deheading - past contents Grain Alcohol might add a bit of luck to the drum. No lining or interior paint. I got the Webber replacement grills and have run the charcoal basket through the break , its an octagonal basket with top dimension of @ 16 Dia and slops to a @ 12 octagonal base , 10 inches high - pic's to come

all I need to get is the stainless hardware , bolts and washers and such.

the exterior paint is clean and new.

Will the drum still need a high temp burn off?
or just the painted lids?

Saw a previous post regarding high heat paint colors , search for Duplicolor engine enamel / high heat paint - they have over 20 colors and available at many auto parts places and Wally world

anyways shooting for a initial run by this weekend if all goes well

Hook Line and Sinker

Back