• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Corned beef question

hdis2002

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Through searching the forums, it seems the best way to start a cb brisket is to soak it for 24 hours in fresh water. The question is: do you soak it in the fridge or in a cooler at room temp? This sounds stupid I'm sure, but I've never done one before. My thoughts are you put it in the fridge, but since it's already been cured, I wanted to ask.

You may want to soak it longer, like 48 hours or longer. - you can also throw some quartered potatoes in to absorb the salt as well. I always forget about the potatoes. I've got one going now that I soaked for two and half days, changing water twice a day.
Thirdeye has some great tips at:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

I think he's got the best starting point. His rub recipe is pretty darn good, and his
method is pretty damn near idiot proof.

Happy Pastrami!!

Through searching the forums, it seems the best way to start a cb brisket is to soak it for 24 hours in fresh water. The question is: do you soak it in the fridge or in a cooler at room temp? This sounds stupid I'm sure, but I've never done one before. My thoughts are you put it in the fridge, but since it's already been cured, I wanted to ask.

If you want corned beef, you don't have to soak it at all. Just rinse it off and put it in the crock pot or oven for a few hours:rolleyes: and you got corned beef for St Patties day. If you want to smoke it and make pastrami, then you gotta soak it.

A lil confused, are you making Pastrami?? No soaking required for corned beef...

A lil confused, are you making Pastrami?? No soaking required for corned beef... Yesterday 07:57 PM
I guess I am a lot stupid...Can I take a cb flat, soak it, smoke it and have pastrami??? I have a cb flat in the fridge for St Paddies day. I would rather smoke it. HELP!

Mike

Smoked Corned beef is too salty for my tastes. I like to soak CB's for over 24 hours, longer if possible, change the water frequently and add the cut spuds to get the salt out. Then smoke em'!

Smoked Corned beef is too salty for my tastes. I like to soak CB's for over 24 hours, longer if possible, change the water frequently and add the cut spuds to get the salt out. Then smoke em'!

Seems the concensus is potatoes to get the salt out. I've been told onion. Any comments on that vs potato?

Thanks!

I actually soak my store bought corned beef for both a traditional corned beef dinner, and when making pastrami. The big variable is the intensity of the solution that the processor uses..... so saltiness WILL vary from brand to brand. Plus most producers inject and immerse their beef cuts. Home corned beef may not need soaking in either application due to the nature or strength of the cure.

One thing to consider with traditional corned beef is that the braising or boiling will drive out some of the saltiness, but it still makes your pot likker pretty salty.

When I find a really good sale I stock up. I soak all of them for 24 hours (in the bathtub.) Really easy just ice them down and when the ice melts some drain off some water and throw in another bag of ice. Beats the hell out of using the fridge.

Back