MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave
Default Dallas on Friday 4/11

My son and I fly into DFW at about 11:00 on Friday, April 11 on the way to the North Texas Brethren Spring Bash. We will be lookingn for lunch and probably have a few hours to burn before heading up to Ray Roberts Lake State Park for the weekend. What would you suggest?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Closer to the city/airport, you have Lockhart (Bishop Arts), Pecan Lodge (Downtown), Slow Bone (Just outside of town) and North Main (Euless). North of the city on the west (so going towards the park), you've got Hard 8 (Coppell) and 3 Stacks (Frisco). Northeast of the city, you've got Lockhart (Plano) and Hutchins (McKinney). Not sure if you are even looking for Q with the bash the next day, but...

I would suggest getting away from the city before Friday afternoon traffic starts unless you are going to go to the park late. Going up 35 during rush hour will be a disaster. What else are you looking to do besides the park? Most of the sight seeing stuff is either in the city or in Fort Worth.

Shoot me a PM, and I can send you my cell #. I can probably think of some ideas for you if we chat.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
peeps

Like Chris said, give us an idea of what you are looking for...sight seeing, just good non-BBQ grub, BBQ, etc and we can give you some ideas.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
caseydog

You definitely do NOT want to drive to Ray Roberts on I-35W after about 2PM on a Friday.

If you go downtown to Pecan Lodge, you can go up the tollway, to 380 and take the backroads to RR.

Or, coming out out of DFW airport, you can take the Sam Rayburn Tollway (121) to Frisco, eat at Three Stacks, and take the back roads to RR.

I always go to RR on the backroads. I-35W sucks, big time.

BTW, Dallas is full of toll roads, but your rental car should be set up to use them, and they are the best highways we have.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Thanks guys, sounds like I need to revise plans to be north of DFW by 2:00, so maybe not too much sightseeing (maybe a boot shop or gun shop or two). With all the great BBQ we will get at the bash, we are open to anything for lunch, might just do Gas Monkey Garage & Bar/Grill for T-shirts. Will need to hitva grocery on the way up to the lake.

Caseydog, welcome back????. I think I can speak for a lot of us when I say you have been missed.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

If you want to grab some good authentic non-Q Texas grub, Babe's Chicken is a favorite of mine. There are multiple locations, but some don't open until 4PM on weekdays. The one in Sanger is just west of the park, but is one of the 4PM ones. The one in Frisco opens at 11:00 AM and is basically on the same route as CD mentioned for 3 Stacks.

Also, as CD mentioned there are lots of toll roads (121, Dallas North Tollway and George Bush). They are the drive through type (they send a bill if you don't have a tag), and you cannot pay cash. Your rental company will charge you for the tolls plus a surcharge most likely.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
peeps

For boots you can go to the Justin Outlet in Justin, TX. It is just a bit west of 35W on 114W. There is a Babes on the way out there in Roanoke.

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
Old 04-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Two western wear stores with multiple locations are Cavender's & Shepler's and I bet one will be close to whatever route you take.

If going on 35W, the Cabela's at I-35W and 170 is a great place to check out.

http://www.cabelas.com/stores/store_...c_id=fortworth

Looking forward to meeting you and your son Saturday.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr

Last edited by frognot; 04-07-2014 at 03:47 PM..
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Thanks guys, sounds like I need to revise plans to be north of DFW by 2:00, so maybe not too much sightseeing (maybe a boot shop or gun shop or two). With all the great BBQ we will get at the bash, we are open to anything for lunch, might just do Gas Monkey Garage & Bar/Grill for T-shirts. Will need to hitva grocery on the way up to the lake.

Caseydog, welcome back????. I think I can speak for a lot of us when I say you have been missed.
Thanks. I sent you a PM. I know people who know people.

CD
Old 04-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
caseydog

I don't wear cowboy boots anymore, but when I did, they were always Tony Lama boots, and I got them at Cavender's.

I've never eaten Babe's fried chicken, but I really want to give it a try. I hear it is awesome... and I hear it is overrated. I wan't to judge for myself.

I need to send another PM with my phone number, in case you get lost. Peeps and other locals might want to do the same.

CD
Old 04-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #11
peeps

Dave has mine already and I have his.

I dig Babe's but we don't eat fried food often so we only go when we have company in town or meeting friends out.

Last I head Dave was gonna try to go to Jambo's, Cabela's, and Cavenders...