MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Default WSM Top Vent Closed?

I haven't had much time to fire up any of the cookers in the last couple of months, but I finally got the chance to throw on a butt last night. I thought I had used the same procedure as usual. After letting it roll all night my temp started dropping this morning so I went out to adjust the bottom vents. No biggie. I get out there and my top vent is almost completely closed! My mind was racing trying to believe I had left the top vent almost completely closed the whole night. Last night after I got the meat on, my temp slowly crept up to 290ish before I adjusted vents to bring it back down to around 270. Could a WSM really get that high with only one bottom vent open? And is there anything I can do to save chitty acrid tasting meat? The IT is only at 155 right now so there is still some cooking time left.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would consider finishing in the oven to avoid any more smoke. Wrapping in foil would work too if it doesn't speed up your cook too much.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Sizzle My Nizzle View Post
I haven't had much time to fire up any of the cookers in the last couple of months, but I finally got the chance to throw on a butt last night. I thought I had used the same procedure as usual. After letting it roll all night my temp started dropping this morning so I went out to adjust the bottom vents. No biggie. I get out there and my top vent is almost completely closed! My mind was racing trying to believe I had left the top vent almost completely closed the whole night. Last night after I got the meat on, my temp slowly crept up to 290ish before I adjusted vents to bring it back down to around 270. Could a WSM really get that high with only one bottom vent open? And is there anything I can do to save chitty acrid tasting meat? The IT is only at 155 right now so there is still some cooking time left.
Hard to tell just how bad it maybe without tasting it, obviously it won't be the best...

Heck, if I had bad tasting acrid tasting meat, it would be the perfect opportunity to invite my Mother-In-Law over for diner... LOL

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

I've had over smoked meat that I would put in the crock pot, put in a inch or so of apple juice, let it cook down, it really mellows the taste and turns it into a good smoke flavor.

It might save your cut of meat, if it is acrid.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

I always leave the top vent open, just seems to work for me.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dport7 View Post
I've had over smoked meat that I would put in the crock pot, put in a inch or so of apple juice, let it cook down, it really mellows the taste and turns it into a good smoke flavor.

It might save your cut of meat, if it is acrid.
Acrid Means Creosote in my limited experience there is no coming back once it's tainted.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
MilitantSquatter

A man once said...

"Sauce covers a multitude of sins"...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

I just threw it in a pan, added some apple juice and foiled it over for the rest of the cook. Once its done I figured I'd taste the bark then. If its too much then I 'll trim the bark off (sad face), chop it, and sauce it. This is some bullchit!!!!!

Old 12-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Fwismoker

Once you get so much hot coals in your basket/ring then you really have to choke back on air....like barely cracking it at all and let the fire settle back down. Patience young smoke hopper.

BTW butts do great at higher temps...i personally go medium heat 275. Oh leave your top vents wide open.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Just for the record, I usually have my top vent wide open. Like I usually do, when I was getting up to temp and waiting for clean smoke, I checked the smell of the smoke out my top vent by placing my hand over it. It smelled good when I put the meat on. So either I barely had it open from the get go or I shut it during the early morning hours when I stumbled out to adjust my lower vents. That's why I was curious if high temps 290-300 could be achieved in a wsm with the top vent shut.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Chit happens to all of us once in a while.
Hope it turns out okay in the end

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

If your fire is hot enough on the grate then you can easily get to 300+ on a WSM in my experience. Did you use Minion Method or dump a whole chimney etc of white hot coals? I've also had a bunch of clumped up wood chunks catch at the same time and send the fire and temps way up. Then there is the water pan and whether or not you used it etc. Tons of variables. Reminds me why I love my pellet poppers these days. :)
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
If your fire is hot enough on the grate then you can easily get to 300+ on a WSM in my experience. Did you use Minion Method or dump a whole chimney etc of white hot coals? I've also had a bunch of clumped up wood chunks catch at the same time and send the fire and temps way up. Then there is the water pan and whether or not you used it etc. Tons of variables. Reminds me why I love my pellet poppers these days. :)
I've run 300+ more than once when doing chicken or kicking up temps on a brisket that's behind. But never with only one bottom vent open and the vent closed up top to boot. I use the minion method. I don't use water in the pan. I spread out and separate my wood chunks. I just wasn't sure how I could get such high temps with only one bottom vent open.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
Fwismoker

It's always better to start with minimal lit charcoal and let it grow to your desired temp vs lighting more initially.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
pgn
Knows what a fatty is.

if its to smokey chop it four chile
pgn is offline   Reply With Quote