• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What to cook this weekend..?

GoolsbyMD

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Got a whole bunch of nothing planned this weekend and the wife has a paper thats going to take her all weekend to write. I have done plenty of pork butts, pork spares/st Louis, failed on a pork belly, spatchcocked whole chickens done some beef ribs chicken bombs and pork shooters and some beans. Thinking maybe a brisket to change it up a lot since itll be my first. Problem is its just my wife and I so dont want to cook a ton and it go to waste. Shes not a big smoke flavor fan :crazy: will be cooking on the WSM. Any more ideas? Butcher shop here has an awesome selection might try those cow kisses i read about last week.

If you're thinking brisket, go get a flat. They're not nearly as big as a packer yet can be awesome if cooked right. You can also use leftover meat as an ingredient for an almost endless list of dishes. How's your beer supply?

I'm doing pulled pork and pulled chicken for 85 this weekend. I'll be posting a couple of pics of the experience. :-D

You can come over to my house Saturday as I am having a big cookout for labor day weekend/birthday celebration. I'm doing 40lbs of pork butts, 2 15lb briskets, 7 racks of ribs and some chicken legs and thighs.

Making the rubs thursday, prepping the meat on friday, and cooking the pork butt/briskets overnight and then ribs and chicken to finish by 430-5pm ish.

If you don't come over, give brisket a go. Any leftovers you can freeze and use for leftovers such as brisket chili, pulled beef tacos, brisket hash etc.

Go or the brisket.
Go easy on the smoke - in fact just use lump and see how the wife likes that smokiness.
The beauty of BBQ is it freezes great, and there is nothing like digging in the freezer in February and finding some...
Do some chicken too, if you are firing up the cooker, may as well fill it.

Do a whole bunch of appetizers like moink balls, jalapeño poppers, pig candy and wings.

Go or the brisket.
Go easy on the smoke - in fact just use lump and see how the wife likes that smokiness.
The beauty of BBQ is it freezes great, and there is nothing like digging in the freezer in February and finding some...
Do some chicken too, if you are firing up the cooker, may as well fill it.

I also smoke much more than my wife and I can eat.
My freezer is stocked with smoked chicken, pulled pork ect...
I'm doing a bunch of Spare Ribs, a Deer roast, and several Meat Loafs Sunday. I'd smoke Saturday, but College Football dominates that day.
(Grilled Hot Wings for early snack before Alabama and VT kick off.) RTR...

Last edited:
If you use it relatively quickly 1-2 months a ziplock freezer bag is more than enough to protect it.

If you just want it to store for longer than that a vacuum sealer.

I'm doing an 8 lb prime rib for Sunday evening, add in some twice baked potatoes, grilled asparagus and a broccoli salad. Dessert, well that's up to the wife.

Back