MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Haastyle
Full Fledged Farker

Default Wedding for 250, how much

Cooking a wedding for my bro inlaw come Oct. I have what my numbers are calculated but I thought I would throw it out there for those who have done similar. Please only replys from those in the know. I'm a private chef and the number attending doesn't worry me as much as the accuracy of Q people can eat. It could be 500 and that wouldn't shake me much.

Doing pull pork from butts, brisket, and chicken.... New pit being welded right NOW as we speak just for this. Heading back to Wisconsin in Sept for a dry run.

Thoughts?
Haastyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
Haastyle
Full Fledged Farker

I an not a newb at bbq fyi, just looking for some logistic check and balance.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
beer and bbq
Got Wood.

Did a charity event last year for 200 people, mostly adult males. We supplied the pulled pork and chicken quarters. We figured 1 chicken quarter and 1/4 oz serving of pulled pork on a roll per person. By the time everyone was done fishing the pulled pork was already gone, not everyone at the chicken, and not everyone used a roll because we had 4 dozen left over. Hope that helps
beer and bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

I just did one for 50, I served Brisket 9lbs, Turkey 6lbs, and 3 slabs of SL Ribs. I started off with 2 x 11.5 lb full packers, 4 x 3lb turkey breasts, I had 2 sides plus a pasta dish and rolls. I had maybe a half a pound of brisket left over.

I figured 4.5 oz of meat per person so I had 32 brisket, 21 Turkey, and approx 10 ribs, but people dont eat that way... the ribs were gone immediately then everyone took turkey and brisket and pigged out. I found out at the end of the night that a couple of heifers had made two togo plates before everyone else got to eat.... I can say this cause I catered my own wedding....

I went with the plan of 50% loss when cooked, but it was alot more then that I will figure on at least 65% loss from now on. That way I know I have enough..

Old 07-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Did a wedding for approx 350 recently. Did 110 lbs. brisket (points only) and 150 lbs. pulled whole chickens. I know that seems like a lot of meat, but you get 1/3 to 1/2 weight loss from start to finish of your cook. You'll think, "no way are they going to finish this" but when the folks see good bbq on the buffet, they hog it all down. There was literally nothing left but sides.

Also if you are doing a ton brisket, I suggest you rent/borrow a deli slicer if you don't have a bunch of help. It will save you considerable time and your slices will be uniform.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

wedding for your brother in law? to your sister? or how does that work?

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

and how does one get pulled pork from briskets and chickens?? last one i promise

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Haastyle
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeQue View Post
and how does one get pulled pork from briskets and chickens?? last one i promise
I see now how you got there. I should have added "and also" instead of using a comma.

The numbers I was figuring was 120lb pork, 100lb brisket and then 40 whole chickens which will be back split for smoking then sectioned after cooking..

Glad to see my numbers aren't that off with some of you Catering fellas. I knew that you guys that have done this for large groups before would have a answer.

Thanks for all the input. I apprecieat it a lot. If anyone else cares to chip in please do, or if you think my numbers are off.... set me straight.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do a bit of catering and vending and always figure 1/4 lb COOKED pulled pork and brisket per person for a good sized sandwich. Also figure 40% waste on pulled pork. Never calc'd waste on brisket, but I'd think it would be more like 30% (but I'm guessing).

With all the other meat, I'd figure 1 pc of chicken per person too. Some will eat chicken only but I'd say most will grab a piece of chicken with a bit of pork or brisket too.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Cooking loss on brisket is at least 50%. I have measured it and that is what I use for inventory. Pulled chocked is like 60% loss. If you are going to do pieces buy them cut and then season and smoke. It will cut down on prep and cook time.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #11
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haastyle View Post

Doing pull pork from butts, brisket, and chicken.... New pit being welded right NOW as we speak just for this. Heading back to Wisconsin in Sept for a dry run.

Thoughts?
First a few questions to help us help you... no offense meant or implied.

How long have you've been producing BBQ at a large scale?
Who is fabricating your pit? Is the shop familiar with smokers? What is the fuel - wood/charcoal/gas/pellets?
[Would hate to see someone stuck with an untrustworthy pit.]

Only one dry run?
Would suspect many loose ends to pop up. Wind, weather, uncontrolled circumstances will delay your scheduled serving time. Recommend several smaller cooks with your pit. Its a given - one must master an unknown pit several times under different circumstances.

Am local to you... please feel free to drop me a PM.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
If you are going to do pieces buy them cut and then season and smoke. It will cut down on prep and cook time.

This is good advise for your chicken prep. It will be much easier to section them before they are cooked rather than after....UNLESS, you are going to let them cool, then section, then reheat for your catering job. Trying to cut up 40 hot whole chickens is going to be time consuming and a pain, and unless you have someone else helping you that has good knife skills, you are going to be doing it all yourself while you should be tending your pit.

Only downsides to sectioning before your cook is that your pieces will vary cook times, ie, your thighs are going to cook longer than your wings and breasts, and you will lose a little space in your cooker (you're chicken will be a little bit more spread out). If you are going to do whole chickens (which I think is the easiest way and most forgiving as far as juiciness) I would cook them whole, then pull them for sammies. That will save you a ton of time and grief, and you can relegate that job to just about anyone as long as they are careful to pick out all the bones (don't want grammy choking on a wishbone).

Last thing, I don't know how big your cooker is, but if you are planning on doing 120lb pork, 100lb brisket and then 40 whole chickens all at the same time it better be a monster. My above post for 350 people used two custom pull-behind offsets at the same time, and they are pretty darn big.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote