Foil or not to Foil....

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Thought I would ask for opinions on foiling pork shoulder. I have tried experimenting with both and this is what I have found. When I foil for the remaining two hours of smoking, the pork shoulder falls apart, is moist and tastes great. When I dont foil the shouder is alittle harder to pull in that it doesnt pull apart as easily as the foil shoulder does. I have also found that the shoulder that wasn't foiled isn't as moist, it isnt dry, but it doesnt have that noticable moistness I have found with the foiled shoulder. The one noticable diffrence I like with the non-foiled shoulder is the bark, cant beat it. So with this said, which way would be the best way when cooking at a contest? Just thought I would ask and see what the concensus was, as always thanks in advance.

Bossman
chuckmarting@bossmanbbq.com

Bossman, you seem to like qualities of each method, cook one wrapped and one unwrapped. That way you get the moistness of the wrapped one, and the quality bark of the unwrapped one both in your turn in box.

wrap for an hour or so then put it back in the smoker unwrapped and let it firm back up

Don't use foil. Coat with Mayo, or
try using some "Icy Hot"

I had the same delema with my last brisket. I foiled it for the last few hours and it came out nice and tender. Like you I crave the crusty bark but the foiling also tenderized it as well. It really wasn't bark any more. I did what FatDaddy suggested and threw it back in for another hour. That seems to be the trick.

Thanks for the advice, sorry if this has been discussed before, just thought I would ask. I will try some diffrent techniques and figure this out and come to a happy medium...:-D

Bossman
chuckmarting@bossmanbbq.com

bbqjoe said:
Don't use foil. Coat with Mayo, or
try using some "Icy Hot"

What is "Icy Hot"? Sounds like something for sore muscels. Isn't that the same as Bengay? This will require a bit more explantion. I have used plain yellow mustard before. After going through the smoking process it is absorbed into the meat and looses most of it's mustardy flavor. What I'm saying is that you arn't flavoring your meat to taste like mustard, it's more of a moisturizer. You slather the meat heavily with plain yellow mustard and then apply your usual rub.

Always foil my butts once temps hit 165. Not adding any smoke past that point anyway and it always produces a more tender product. Plus, you can save the dripping from the foil for a killer sauce.

And I don't typically have a problem with the bark even when foiling. If it does soften up too much, I just do what FatDaddy and Hoo have suggested and pop it in the chamber unfoiled for 30-45 minutes to firm back up.

Back