Lamb breast and weird lump action.

Neonnblack

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So i decided to cook up some lamb breast i got at walmart for a good price. Something ive never made and it was cheap enough that if i fark it up, oh well. So here it is, comes in two pieces:
20130303_085557_zpsa4ab857c.jpg

And sesoned with Italian seasoning, basil thyme oregeno and misc others.
20130303_090618_zps8256f5e7.jpg

So, onto the weird lump action. I have never started my UDS with lump, i have it in the basket but usually use Stubb briqs in the chimney. Well i figured since it was raining i wanted it to start faster so i tried using a hand full of lump. Damn does that get hot and ready FAST, it even turned my chimney white, and after i dumped it in my basket it took about 10 seconds for my drum thermo to read 250 :wacko:. Is this normal for lump? I closed the vents some, and im going to check it out in a minute to check the temp.

Temp holding at 250 hmmm. Anyways, do you bend test these or what is the proper way to go about telling for doneness?

Can't say never seen or heard of lamb breast. Looks like your off to a great start though. Post some pics while there cooking. From what I read it's actually from the belly.

They are cooking oddly fast, imo, but thats ok. This is after about 1 hour 20 min.

Smaller one is foiled on one side, the bottom to keep it more indirect.
20130303_103908_zps88cee960.jpg

Bigger one has a foil tent but nothing over to make sure the fat renders better. (i moved it to take the pic)
20130303_103938_zps8f3c4218.jpg

Sorry about the bad pics, foil plus smoke and a camera dont mix.

Being originally from New Zealand and eating lamb all my life; I believe what you have there are lamb Spare ribs? Yummy Yummy oh how I miss Lamb.

I do believe thats what they really are, the package says lamb breast. It was dirt cheap 7 bucks for that I havent had lamb since i was little so im excited to cut em up and eat em. Ill bring you some haha.

well, its done. The flavor is very... different from beef and pork, even different from venison. I like it, but dont love it, i could see it growing on me. Next time maybe another 20 minutes to further break down the fat, this IS greasy, but not overly greasy.
20130303_113344_zps4aec927f.jpg

Looks good tho! We haven't pulled the trigger on lamb yet, who knows?

I cook lamb racks all the time ..try cooking them at a higher heat..no foil..and let more of that fat render render out..those could have gone a bit longer
was this domestic lamb? as far as im concerned domestic has far better flavor ..not sure what wal-mart carries
421236_10151070671492997_2042838115_n.jpg

It looks good Neon! :thumb:

My wife and I love lamb!

The "lamb breasts" they sell here are ribs with the belly attached. I trim off the belly, freeze it for later, and cook just the ribs, they are yummy!

I agree with "billm", if you render the fat better, it would probably be better.

Yes, domestic lamb. I figured another 20 -30 minutes would have made better results. Though, the small rack was good, it was the larger piece that was a little greasy.

Back