MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

Default Oklahoma joe longhorn baffle

Does anyone here Have/use one? Mine arrived today. It fits, but one of the grills now does not fit,but I can live with it,it is not that bad.I can still lay meat over it. SO how does your OK J perform with one of these? Better? or no difference?
Big Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
harris92
Full Fledged Farker

I have a an old Oklahoma Joe Longhorn. It is 1/4 inch thick and fully welded. It has a welded baffle. I do not use a convection plate. The smoker works great.

Last edited by harris92; 04-21-2013 at 05:24 PM..
harris92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Southstar Jeff
Full Fledged Farker

I also have one of the old type full 1/4", fully welded OK Joe's. I've not been successful trying to buy a "convection plate" from Horizon for it. Any advice? Maybe just put in tuning plates instead? I need to do something. Near the firebox is pretty much unusable due to the heat.
Smokey Joe Silver
RecTec
Southstar Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Big Dan -Pics?

Southstar Jeff - "I've not been successful trying to buy a "convection plate" from Horizon for it."

Do you mean that they don't respond to e-mails/calls? That has been my experience. I inquired about a convection plate for my Klose, but they never responded to me.

I am interested in one, but I'd like to hear about brethren's experiences using them.

David
The Swine Spectator

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
harris92
Full Fledged Farker

Interesting. Does your Chuckwagon have the built in baffle? I borrowed my brother's convection plate to see how it would fit in my smoker. It was a perfect fit. I have heard the convection plates are hit or miss and don't always fit. I would have some tuning plates made.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

My convection plate works well. The grates got a lot tighter and barely fit, but they do fit.

I didn't have a great experience with Horizon. Emails weren't answered so I had to call. They were good on the phone and I got mine ordered. I called two weeks later because it hadn't arrived yet and they "couldn't find any information or order" for me in their system or anywhere. It was like my first call never happened. I had to start from scratch in ordering the plate and a charcoal grate.

I did get them finally and they work great, but it shouldn't be so hard to do business with someone.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

nucornhusker, can you describe how you use your plate?

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post
nucornhusker, can you describe how you use your plate?
I don't have a picture of it right now, but it sets right in front of the opening of the firebox to deflect the heat. Then there are holes that progressively get larger as it goes toward the exhaust end to even out the heat.

That's really all it's for is to even out heat side to side.

Is this what you were asking?

Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Thinking about ordering convection plate for my offset from horizon also. Would like to see pictures to understand why your grates not fitting now.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Southstar Jeff
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post
Big Dan -Pics?

Southstar Jeff - "I've not been successful trying to buy a "convection plate" from Horizon for it."

Do you mean that they don't respond to e-mails/calls? That has been my experience. I inquired about a convection plate for my Klose, but they never responded to me.

I am interested in one, but I'd like to hear about brethren's experiences using them.

David
The Swine Spectator
Yeah, I've traded emails with a guy there, Daniel, but no order confirmation or parts.
Smokey Joe Silver
RecTec
Southstar Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Calling them and following up with another call seems to be the only way I could get through to them. You may want to try calling.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
My convection plate works well. The grates got a lot tighter and barely fit, but they do fit.

I didn't have a great experience with Horizon. Emails weren't answered so I had to call. They were good on the phone and I got mine ordered. I called two weeks later because it hadn't arrived yet and they "couldn't find any information or order" for me in their system or anywhere. It was like my first call never happened. I had to start from scratch in ordering the plate and a charcoal grate.

I did get them finally and they work great, but it shouldn't be so hard to do business with someone.
I'll post pics of mine tomorrow. I'm doing a brisket.
I ordered mine thru Horizon also. They are TERRIBLE at customer service. I also ordered a charcoal basket from them. The basket took TWO MONTHS and six phone calls. When they finally shipped it, Fed Ex delivered it to the wrong house. It was hell, but I finally received everything.
About my grates, they don't fit now, but I can live with it. I can probably fix it with a little hammering or grinding. Pics tomorrow.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

Okay, after some monkeying around, and some brute force, I got it to fit.
here are some pics. The one with my finger pointing is where I was having some trouble getting the grills to fit, but they are in now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoker mod 2.jpg (71.6 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg smoker mod.jpg (67.6 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg smoker mod 1.jpg (77.2 KB, 428 views)

Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

And here is whats going on right now: 11.61 pounds of PRIME Texas beef butter!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.61 LBS Prime brisket.jpg (67.9 KB, 428 views)

Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

The unit from the front side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoker.jpg (72.3 KB, 422 views)