MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
WhiteMooseBBQ
Found some matches.

Question Brisket Temps

I know this topic has been brought up a 1000 times, But I have been trying so many different things as far as hitting the right wrapping temp for brisket. I try to hit the 160 mark but I am still failing after I hit my target temp and resting period. Still feel as if my brisket is not as juicy as it should be. Any tips or ideas for me to try? Thanks
WhiteMooseBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I wrap based on bark color instead of internal temp. When the bark it the color that I want, then I'll wrap.

Tell us more about what you are doing and what you feel is lacking. It may not be when you wrap that is the issue.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

To be honest a bit more info is needed to truly be able to help. Do you inject? Do you add something to your foil? What temps are you cooking at? What is you final temp when you want to pull off cooker? How long are you resting? etc.

Personally I inject and and usually add something to foil. My cooking temps are 275*. I go more by feel now than temp when I take it off cooker but when I was temping it was usually 195*ish. I rest mine a minimum of an hour. One issue I had was I was over trimming my brisket. I didnt figure that out until after my season was over but this year I am going to trim way less.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

The cut of brisket matters. Flat or whole packer? As well as the grade. Select, choice, prime? Some briskets are just plain dry, you can add liquids, wrap, inject etc.. doesn't really mean a moist brisket. A wet brisket -yes, moist maybe, there is a difference.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cook at 300 I never monitor meat temps, I wrap my briskets in BP at the 4 hr mark they stay wrapped until after the rest. When it probes like Butter its done. Don't over think it!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
WhiteMooseBBQ
Found some matches.

Sorry Guys I should have filled you in way more than I did,

I cook whole packers starting with trimming all the fat off and then using a butcher injection 4 hours before I place meat on the smoker, I am running an offset smoker and try to stay around 225-240 degrees for the entire cook time. I still haven’t found the perfect rub for my brisket. I seem to change every time I cook one. Hour before placing on smoker I will place my dry rub on and place brisket fat cap down until I hit the 160 degree mark. I then wrap with for and I do not place any liquid inside.

From Here I shoot for 197 degrees, once there I pull it off vent it for 5-10 min and separate my point from flat. Wrap back up and place in cooler. My point gets seasoned and goes back on the smoker. Usually my brisket will rest anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours in the dry cooler before slicing.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

You can't trim all the fat off, you still need some on both sides of the brisket. What grade of brisket are you using? You can't pull at a certain temp, every brisket is different. Only pull when that thing probes tender. Cutting that point off may be hurting you too, I don't that, I just leave it on and cut away excess fat later. Lotta people do, but you have to ask yourself, are burnt ends more important than a "moist" brisket?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMooseBBQ View Post
Sorry Guys I should have filled you in way more than I did,

I cook whole packers starting with trimming all the fat off and then using a butcher injection 4 hours before I place meat on the smoker, I am running an offset smoker and try to stay around 225-240 degrees for the entire cook time. I still haven’t found the perfect rub for my brisket. I seem to change every time I cook one. Hour before placing on smoker I will place my dry rub on and place brisket fat cap down until I hit the 160 degree mark. I then wrap with for and I do not place any liquid inside.

From Here I shoot for 197 degrees, once there I pull it off vent it for 5-10 min and separate my point from flat. Wrap back up and place in cooler. My point gets seasoned and goes back on the smoker. Usually my brisket will rest anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours in the dry cooler before slicing.
HERE Lies Your Problems Cook hotter I to run a Stick burner I cook in the 275-325 Zone. Don't rely on a FINISH TEMP. It's done when it probes like Butter!!! At 197 it hasn't fully rendered when it renders it will be moist & juicy and that Mi Amigo is probe tender. Don't over think it the brisket knows when it done you just need to listen.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
WhiteMooseBBQ
Found some matches.

Majority of the time i am using USDA Choice. i have tried CreekStone CABS and also Wagyu's. But untill i can get a good juicy tender brisket i am staying away from spending the money on the Primes. That is unless some of your guys wonderful knowlage changes my mind.

How can i be loosing so much moisture from seperating the two?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
smokeacholic
Full Fledged Farker

What Bludawg says is right. That fat is important and for sure don't go by the temperature. Liquid in the wrap is also important IMO.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
Bludawg

I can mostly only get select grade I don't add anything to the BP it's your technique.

Select Flat slice

Select point Slices

Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMooseBBQ View Post
Majority of the time i am using USDA Choice. i have tried CreekStone CABS and also Wagyu's. But untill i can get a good juicy tender brisket i am staying away from spending the money on the Primes. That is unless some of your guys wonderful knowlage changes my mind.

How can i be loosing so much moisture from seperating the two?
With brisket fat is where it's at. When you pull that brisket and it's steaming hot and cut that point away I bet you are losing lots of juice. Cook a little hotter and only pull when it's probe tender and try not separating the point next time. I bet your results will be much better. IMO less steps with brisket is better. I cook choice or better and usually have stellar results. Injection is fine if you want to keep doing it. I do only because I'm constantly experimenting for comps. BTW I wrap w/butcher paper too, foil just steams your brisket and IMO when you add liquids you end up braising the thing. I like traditional smoked brisket... although I inject.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I can mostly only get select grade I don't add anything to the BP it's your technique.
BD, I thought I read once that you sometimes inject canola oil in your briskets. Was this one?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
Bludawg

When I pull my brisket It stays wrapped I plunge an analog stick thermo into it and let it sit on the counter. When the temp drops into the 150's (3-4 hrs) later it comes out of the paper and then I separate the point & flat. Cutting into a Hot Hunk of meat will guarantee a dry serving every time.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
BD, I thought I read once that you sometimes inject canola oil in your briskets. Was this one?
No that one wasn't injected It was well marbled for a select grade. If you look close you can see a vein running through the slice.