MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #91
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

And those of us who judge in the upper Midwest really get to sample the best of the best . That's one reason that there are so many "BBQ Medium" judges here (3XL for me).
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #92
ModelMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
And those of us who judge in the upper Midwest really get to sample the best of the best . That's one reason that there are so many "BBQ Medium" judges here (3XL for me).

So with me wearing a XL does that make me BBQ pettite?
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #93
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

Being from the center of the bbq universe, I get the joy of getting my a** kicked by the best of the best every week Congrats again to all!

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #94
Scottie

Dont come to Illinois then. Just the same...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #95
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

Of course not...that's where you reside

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #96
Pickin' Porkers
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyle View Post
Put the Royal Invitational + Open together with Sam's and the consistency of the upper midwest in general and Iowa in particular is apparent.

Add in team of the year standings and the conclusion is clear. Right now the center

of the BBQ universe is right here in the upper midwest.

Those of us who organize contests up here are very lucky ( as in Lucky's Q) to play host to these great teams.

ONLY because the majority of the judges come from that region for each of the contests you listed.
Pickin' Porkers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #97
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickin' Porkers View Post
ONLY because the majority of the judges come from that region for each of the contests you listed.
interesting slant.

so you're suggesting more judges travel from the upper midwest than the south east and west, AND that their numbers are so great as to influence national championships via predisposition of great BBQ over 100's of teams from mulitple regions?

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #98
jaestar
Full Fledged Farker

Care to explain how Iowa teams came out of multiple regions to make it to the finals or how they do really well when they compete in other regions? Maybe they bring the judges with them?

Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #99
Pickin' Porkers
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
interesting slant.

so you're suggesting more judges travel from the upper midwest than the south east and west, AND that their numbers are so great as to influence national championships via predisposition of great BBQ over 100's of teams from mulitple regions?

I ABSOLUTELY believe that the large majority of the teams in the top 10 compete regularly in that area...and.."that area" is defined as the midwest whether it be the 'northern midwest or what have you'... had a distinct advantage. Obviously none of us know where the 50 judges came from but being the gambling person I am, I would bet good money very few came from the new england area, the southeast or southwest.....OR northeast. Note I am NOT saying NONE came from those regions, but I am confident the majority came from a 200 mile radius of Bentonville....hence the advantage to midwest teams.

As for our poor showing....we deserved the 39th place we got so... "the kid" here is not belly aching or calling it lousy judging. I am sure the judges did the best they could but they do have regional preferences. That is why our "sport" is damn near gambling....because we cannot control what judges like....there is nothing quantitative and there is little we can do but cook our best and hope for the right tables. We did not cook our best.

Anyone that would argue that the outcome of this contest would have been the same if the contest were held in Rhode Island, or South Carolina or Arizona or Washington State would have to be totally eaten up with ignorance. Judges are heavily influenced by their preference in flavor profiles and regional differences definitely come into play. If you don't believe me...take any team you wish and let them compete for two years in another region and see how they do compared to their home territory. Very, very, very few teams score well all over the country....in fact....I cannot think of one team i would put my money on if they competed nationwide regularly....and nationwide is not defined as IL, MO, IA, AR or OK. On the other hand, I am not trying to take away from the success of the teams this weekend..... but to believe that all teams had the same level playing field in terms of judging preference is again...well...like a Carolina Panthers...they will be hyped up about "THEIR" team than looking at stats.

They were searching for judges.....and all Master judges were eligible for participating in this event. An extremely few will make the LONG ASS drive or pay airfare to go judge this cook-off and I do not blame them. SO, this event was loaded with judges from a close radius.

Twist this or turn it anyway you wish if for any reason other than being argumentative....again...bring that contest to another region of the country and let's see how the results differ. The same applies to the Royal and other "National Championships".

Last edited by Pickin' Porkers; 10-15-2012 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #100
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I ABSOLUTELY believe that the large majority of the teams in the top 10 compete regularly in that area...and.."that area" is defined as the midwest whether it be the 'northern midwest or what have you'... had a distinct advantage. Obviously none of us know where the 50 judges came from but being the gambling person I am, I would bet good money very few came from the new england area, the southeast or southwest.....OR northeast. Note I am NOT saying NONE came from those regions, but I am confident the majority came from a 200 mile radius of Bentonville....hence the advantage to midwest teams.

As for our poor showing....we deserved the 39th place we got so... "the kid" here is not belly aching or calling it lousy judging. I am sure the judges did the best they could but they do have regional preferences. That is why our "sport" is damn near gambling....because we cannot control what judges like....there is nothing quantitative and there is little we can do but cook our best and hope for the right tables. We did not cook our best.

Anyone that would argue that the outcome of this contest would have been the same if the contest were held in Rhode Island, or South Carolina or Arizona or Washington State would have to be totally eaten up with ignorance. Judges are heavily influenced by their preference in flavor profiles and regional differences definitely come into play. If you don't believe me...take any team you wish and let them compete for two years in another region and see how they do compared to their home territory. Very, very, very few teams score well all over the country....in fact....I cannot think of one team i would put my money on if they competed nationwide regularly....and nationwide is not defined as IL, MO, IA, AR or OK. On the other hand, I am not trying to take away from the success of the teams this weekend but to believe that all teams had the same level playing field in terms of judging preference is again...well...like a Carolina Panthers...they will be hyped up about "THEIR" team than looking at stats.

They were searching for judges.....and all Master judges were eligible for participating in this event. An extremely few will make the LONG ASS drive or pay airfare to go judge this cook-off and I do not blame them. SO, this event was loaded with judges from a close radius.

Twist this or turn it anyway you wish if for any reason other than being argumentative....again...bring that contest to another region of the country and let's see how the results differ. The same applies to the Royal and other "National Championships".
oooh kay.

so alot of new england judges must travel to tennessee then...

i simply think there are some damn good cooks in iowa. not argumentative at all.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #101
Pickin' Porkers
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
oooh kay.

i simply think there are some damn good cooks in iowa. not argumentative at all.
I agree.....not one suggestion was made that there were not any.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #102
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

no there wasn't. but certainly implied there was an unfair advantage to them as well as a disrespect to them as such. moreover a complete gloss over of the great teams that CAN compete across the country and win and win big.

there's a talent and skill, some have it across the board some not.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #103
Pickin' Porkers
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
no there wasn't. but certainly implied there was an unfair advantage to them as well as a disrespect to them as such. moreover a complete gloss over of the great teams that CAN compete across the country and win and win big.
No...it was not implied but stated very clearly.....there is an advantage in many situations.

Enough said from here.....it is like pounding one's chest and declaring the best of all times. It will always be subjective.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #104
daveinwestmont
On the road to being a farker

A midwest boy here, and I've cooked against these teams, and have drank with a few of them also. All great cooks in their own right and deserve their spot in the light. Some, two in particular, travel all around the country and cook. They are consistent and score well. I understand the point about this hobby as being a crap shoot at the judging table but we can't discredit consistent winners. For the most part if you are consistently in or close to the top ten, (not me yet), then you are a good cooking team. I had a chance to meet a judge from California at a rib contest this summer and we spoke about this subject. i asked about regionality and his comment was; all judges first looked for correctly cooked meat, (tenderness) that tastes like the product it is suppose to be. Pork tastes like pork and Brisket like brisket, and then worry about the flavor profile, hopefully you get the point.

Great job midwest teams!!! Way to represent!!!

Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #105
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Anyone that would argue that the outcome of this contest would have been the same if the contest were held in Rhode Island...
Our chicken did better in Bentonville

Actually, our 681 would have been a GC in every contest we cooked in this year, except for Fryeburg, ME. These were the top 50 out of the around 750 teams that entered the Sam's Club series. It was a damn difficult field to compete against, but we had a great time and will try it again next year.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote