Saiko's Georgia Brunswick Stew, with Pron

I too have a batch in the crockpot right now! Your recipe reminds me of the stew I used to get at Finchers BBQ in Macon. Man I lived at that joint! My wife and I would argue over who had the better stew. Finchers or Satterfields..:-D

Reading this thread has made me want to bump it. Aim going to smoke a chicken tomorrow just to make this. Sounds great!

What, no hog head?:-D Seriously, as a boy, you had to have real hog head in it to be called brunswick stew. You make it just the way I like it! Enjoy.

IMHO, one of if not THE best recipe shared on brethren. I think I've said it before, but THANKS Saiko! This recipe is now my base recipe for mine. Even my mother in law, who is from Texas and has no clue as to what is and isn't barbecue, LOVES this recipe.

I freeze it all the time and it reheats just fine. I don't even vacuum pack it, I just store them in tupperware in the freezer. Makes a great winter lunch!

@ Saiko - thank you for posting this recipe! This looks great and simple. I am going to try this soon. My old college roommates from Warner Robbins GA use to brag about this stew all the time.

Look's really good Saiko ~ that wouldn't be Spanky's recipe would it?

If y'all want to kick it up a notch, bake some cornbread, get you a slice and split that sucker. Put it in the bottom of your bowl, ladle the stew over it and dig in ~ nothing better! :clap2:

Mine's on the stove. I've eaten alot of it in NC, but never made it. Just so happened I had a 2lb bag of pulled pork in the freezer. I copied your recipe Saiko. i have been canning tomatoes and green beans all day, so i got to use fresh tomatoes! And i went ahead and threw in some fresh green beans, yellow squash, and zucchini! Why not?
But I followed ya on the blues hog and yardbird. Cant wait till it's done.
Thanks mang

I was looking for a recipe to use up some leftover chicken and turkey that I did on my XL egg. Someone mentioned Saiko's Georgia Brunswick Stew in another post so I thought I'd show my version of it. Cold and snowy today so seemed like a perfect time to make it.

Here's the cook of chicken quarters and turkey thighs.

i-7t7JDkR-M.jpg

And done with a coating of famous dave's sauce.

i-HLS4fnv-M.jpg

Loosely followed Saiko's recipe with other ingredients in the pantry. Turned out to be too big of a batch for my crockpot so I'm simmering on the stove top.

i-9BPFvWF-M.jpg

Sure does smell good! Thanks for the inspiration Saiko. :thumb:

This recipe sounds fantastic! Has anyone tried adding any onion to it. I'm thinking of making some tomorrow and thought some chopped onion in it might be good. Any thoughts?

This recipe sounds fantastic! Has anyone tried adding any onion to it. I'm thinking of making some tomorrow and thought some chopped onion in it might be good. Any thoughts?

Funny how this thread keeps getting pulled out of retirement every few months. Brunswick is kind of like chili in that there really is no one true authoritative recipe, it's just kind of whatever you decide to throw in it.

Honestly I don't think I've ever seen onion in any of the versions I have tried. You could certainly add it in and see how you like it. Instead of just adding the butter to the mixture at the end, you could partially carmalize the onion in the butter at the start, and then mix everything in afterwards.

As I have stated in this thread, there really are two variations that pop up around Georgia. There is the home cooked version that does not include smoked meat and usually has tomato, corn and butter beans (lima beans). Then there is the BBQ version that virtually every BBQ joint in Georgia has, which includes smoked chicken or pork (or both), tomato and corn.

Funny how this thread keeps getting pulled out of retirement every few months.
QUOTE]
There is a reason for that.. It's extremely tasty and easy. It's also easy to modify and still taste excellent, I made a version with left over red beans with homemade andouille; the other leftovers I used was spare ribs from the previous day. It's a really good recipe and hard to screw up.

I've seen recipes that use smoked chicken, pork AND beef. Can't go wrong with that!
Also seen green peas in stew in a local Q joint... No Thank You!

I did add some pulled pork I found in the freezer.

i-gGxJnpT-L.jpg

Really hit the spot on a cold winter evening.

Back