foiling 22.5 water pan

pigout sc

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Do most of you that use water foil both the outside and inside of pan? Last cook I only foiled the outside, cleanup was not to bad but wonder if it would be easier if I had foiled both sides. Thanks

Do most of you that use water foil both the outside and inside of pan? Last cook I only foiled the outside, cleanup was not to bad but wonder if it would be easier if I had foiled both sides. Thanks

I have done it that way and clean up is easy as long as I do it right after :p. I normally foil both and with the colder weather coming in have been running with no water and that makes clean up even easier.

We just got our 22.5 WSM ..hubby and I have differing openions...I just assumed you would foil the inside, that's where all the grease is going to fall into the water. He foiled the outside...his reasoning is it will be easier to clean from the smoke. I just can't see any reason why you care how dirty the outside gets...would love to have more openions...

I have done it that way and clean up is easy as long as I do it right after :p. I normally foil both and with the colder weather coming in have been running with no water and that makes clean up even easier.

Do you foil the inside of the pan when smoking with out water?

I foil. No water.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Do you foil the inside of the pan when smoking with out water?

Yeah. I pretty much always foil both with or without water. I'm testing out right now how I like without water during the cooler weather. Temps have been as easy as normal to regulate.

I don't foil the walls or dome of my cooker, so why would I foil the pan? It's just part of the smoker.

After rinsing the pan out, I'll use a plastic putty knife to knock off any crud but it doesn't have to be "clean". I'm just "hitting the high spots", just like I occasionally do to the cooker walls, and I'm actually more concerned with build-up inside the dome. Had black flakes show up on my butts once and my bark wasn't dark enough to hide 'em. Only time I'd recommend spritzing. :wink:

I foil the inside of my 18.5 WSM and don't use water. Did my first cook with the 22 WSM this past week and just set a foil pan with water in it and had no cleanup afterward. Just threw the pan away!

On both the 18 and the 22 I foil inside, outside, upside down (reading too many Dr Seuss books to the little one, sorry)! :becky:

Been leaving the pan empty, except when I cook ribs on the 22...always foil though.

10X cooks on my 22.5 now,9 with water and today without.
I hose the pan down in the back yard,see no reason to foil.
I'll probably use water tho-easier to control temps.T

I foil the inside of my 18.5 WSM and don't use water. Did my first cook with the 22 WSM this past week and just set a foil pan with water in it and had no cleanup afterward. Just threw the pan away![/QUOT

Sounds like a good idea,Where did you place the foil pan?

It's my understanding that with the water pan in the 22.5 you have to make the seam as tight as possible because water has a way of working it's way up and under it and makes it's way to the fire below thats why the dispossible pan would be a good idea IMO. The times I've used water I didn't foil the inside of the bowl. I guess thats one plus to using the clay saucer or sand, you don't have to use as much foil because of the shallow depth they create.

Back