Is this a quiet generator?

I can't find a sound level spec anywhere, so that leads me to say, no :-D Usually when a generator is quiet the manufacturer claims that and publishes a spec.

Unless you want to power something besides the FEC, you don't need a generator. A deep cycle battery and an inverter will be plenty.

Check out this generator/Inverter Kipor IG2000 2000-Watt Inverter Generator $600....online...extremely quiet!

That will work, Monty, but let's take a look at how long it will last...

***WARNING*** Math is involved :becky:

The FEC draws approx 400W when the ignitor is on and about 50W after that. At 12V (the battery operating voltage), 50W is 50/12 = 4.2amps. The battery pack that you linked has a capacity of 28 amp hours, so ideally it will last 28/4.2 = 6.6 hours, but realistically you won't get that out if it. At some point the voltage will drop too low.

I use a marine battery with 100AH capacity and an inverter/charger with an automatic transfer switch. When the AC power is on it send that to the FEC and charge the battery but when the AC power fails it automatically switches to the inverter and battery. With the 100AH battery it will last about 20 hours if needed.

I'd rather go with a used Honda EU1000is and call it a day. Super quiet, VERY compact and reliable. Check CL, I'm sure there are a bunch on there.

I really wish you would quit screwing around. You could take what you guys have spent on classes and been in either of these trailers. :)
http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/listing/2010-Forest-River-Work-And-Play-16ez-97691451

or
http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/listing/2008-Forest-River-27dfwp-97872022

That first link is pretty cool! I called the dealer and it's a bit too small - the usable space is 6.5' x 9.5' - but still pretty cool.

BTW, you should take all the money you have saved NOT taking classes and buy a bunch of whiskey. That way you'll have something to pay me with when you lose all those chicken bets I plan on making with you this year. Going to Minnesota in May???

That will work, Monty, but let's take a look at how long it will last...

***WARNING*** Math is involved :becky:

The FEC draws approx 400W when the ignitor is on and about 50W after that. At 12V (the battery operating voltage), 50W is 50/12 = 4.2amps. The battery pack that you linked has a capacity of 28 amp hours, so ideally it will last 28/4.2 = 6.6 hours, but realistically you won't get that out if it. At some point the voltage will drop too low.

I use a marine battery with 100AH capacity and an inverter/charger with an automatic transfer switch. When the AC power is on it send that to the FEC and charge the battery but when the AC power fails it automatically switches to the inverter and battery. With the 100AH battery it will last about 20 hours if needed.

I lost you at "math.":heh:

I'm going to check out some of these options. I should have remembered the inverter thread before I started all this again. I have a short memory :redface:

BTW, you should take all the money you have saved NOT taking classes and buy a bunch of whiskey. That way you'll have something to pay me with when you lose all those chicken bets I plan on making with you this year. Going to Minnesota in May???

He He He .. I've been playin with my chicken all winter, new things coming out of Purgatory this year. :-D

Prob doing St Joe in early May and still waiting to see if the Great American sets a date.

Do it right and get a Honda, we run our heater, fridge (RV), lights, Kingfisher and FEC. If we need the air ... Rick brings the same gen and we plug the two together and can run the air all day long.

air-airport-noise.gif

Thanks again for all your help! It always suprises me how generous you folks are with info! I may have a line on a used Honda 2000. If that doesn't pan out I'm going with the inverter and battery combo. Thanks again, everyone!!

Back