Salsa Roja para tacos

Smokey Al Gold

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Last week I asked for a salsa roja recipe to make for fajita tacos etc. and Moose was kind enough to post one for me with lightning fast response time :-D It is a salsa roja and its made with dried chiles, tomatoes and tomatillos. I added the juice of 3 key limes and lots of kosher salt and I really like it. It definately adds some spice to your tacos and it has a beautiful color. I filled some mustard and ketchup squeeze bottles with the sauce and it was great everyone liked it. Made a few tacos last night with leftover smoked chicken and carne asada. Just added the sauce since I wanted to really taste it after a few days of the flavors melding together. It was great!

06-10002.jpg

Just a few chiles
06-10001.jpg

06-10003.jpg

06-10004.jpg

06-10005.jpg

06-10006.jpg

06-10009.jpg

06-10008.jpg

OK, what is the recipe, not just a little of this and that, give us the whole thing or I will come after you because I want it that bad :butt:

That looks like it might help you break a sweat. And yes please post the complete recipe :thumb:

OK, what is the recipe, not just a little of this and that, give us the whole thing or I will come after you because I want it that bad :butt:

Under the threat of violence I will post the recipie :boxing: This is from Moose and I left all the veins and seeds in because I am a man. I didn't have cloves so I just left them out. And ended up using 2 cups of the cooking liquid in my salsa. I also added the juice of 3 key limes to brighten the flavors. I will make this again.

Salsa Roja para tacos

4 roma tomatoes
2 Tb oil, separated
2 generous handfuls of Chile de Arbol, the majority of seeds and stems removed
3 garlic cloves
4 Guajillo chiles – as is, don’t remove seeds or veins
4-6 tomatillos
½ tsp chicken bouillon powder
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp oregano (Mexican is preferable)
¼ tsp ground cloves
Salt to taste

Place tomatoes in a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, place 1 Tb oil in a medium –sized skillet on medium heat, and fry de arbol chiles for 1-2 minutes, but do not blacken them. Stir constantly so that chiles are fried well and change colors, and also to keep burnt chiles to a minimum. Lower the heat if necessary. Once done, remove chiles and place on paper towel to drain. Next, add remaining Tb oil and place guajillo chiles and garlic in skillet and fry for 3-5 minutes, again stirring constantly. When done, garlic should be slightly browned. Remove chiles and garlic to paper towel to drain. Place tomatillos in same skillet and allow to roast/fry until skin is blistered and tomatillos are cooked through. When done, they will change to a more yellow color and a softer texture.

Remove cooked tomatoes to a plate or bowl and allow to cool to room temperature, reserve cooking liquid. When done, remove tomatillos to a plate or bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. Once all ingredients have reached room temperature, place all (including herbs, spices, and seasonings) in the blender jar with 2-3 cups of cooled cooking liquid and blend well. Salsa should be smooth with specks of dried chile. Additional cooking liquid may be added to taste. Check for salt – this is important. Chiles are extremely absorbant, so keep adding salt and tasting, until the salsa reaches a “bloom” where you can taste all the ingredients.

Back