MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Default Austin, TX

I'm heading down to Austin to work the MotoGP races this coming weekend. But, I've scheduled an extra day so I can visit Franklin's BBQ. I've heard you have to be in line super early. Is that true during the week? I plan on having lunch there Wednesday

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 04-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

This was the line at 10:00am.

GTR got in line about 8:00am. It was a Friday.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=185160
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

We got there at 8 am and were about 35th in line. Fantastic brisket - I'd do it again.

If you don't have as much time to wait in line check out John Mueller Meat Co. on 6th. We got there about 45 minutes early on a Sunday and were the second group in line. Amazing stuff as well. I'd give Franklin's the edge for the mind-blowing brisket experience, but John Mueller may have the edge for the overall experience. It's all so dang good I don't even really like comparing.

If you get to Franklin's really early and be among the first, you can eat there and then hopefully catch Mueller before he runs out - now that's a day of good eats right there.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
We got there at 8 am and were about 35th in line. Fantastic brisket - I'd do it again.

If you don't have as much time to wait in line check out John Mueller Meat Co. on 6th. We got there about 45 minutes early on a Sunday and were the second group in line. Amazing stuff as well. I'd give Franklin's the edge for the mind-blowing brisket experience, but John Mueller may have the edge for the overall experience. It's all so dang good I don't even really like comparing.

If you get to Franklin's really early and be among the first, you can eat there and then hopefully catch Mueller before he runs out - now that's a day of good eats right there.
You sir, may very well be a genius
Old 04-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
gtr

I just looked up and saw you're planning on Wed., which is the one day John Mueller is closed.

If you want to hit a second spot, I've heard Stiles Switch is great (I think the cook there used to cook at Louie Mueller's in Taylor).

If you have time, check out the Lockhart spots or Southside Market and/or Meyer's in Elgin. While you're there, you may as well live it up, right? We hit 8 joints in 3 days last week. It was farking beautiful. Here's a thread about it.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

You're making me hungry! I won't have a lot of time. I'm on the Safety Crew for the races. Gotta be in training Thursday. Then on track early Friday-Sunday.
I'll shoot for two places on Wednesday. Or maybe just get a whole brisket from Franklin....
Old 04-08-2014, 01:42 AM   #7
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Jeff, if getting at least 5 lbs of meat, you can pre-order & skip the line. Here's the info:
https://franklinbarbecue.com/preorders/

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
cazzy
Full Fledged Farker

IMO, La BBQ is 2nd to Franklin in terms of quality. They're the best game in town for wait to food quality ratio. I got there at 10:30am and was first in line.

cazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognot View Post
Jeff, if getting at least 5 lbs of meat, you can pre-order & skip the line. Here's the info:
https://franklinbarbecue.com/preorders/

uhhhhh, we tried to do that but I was told there is a 5-week waiting list for pre-orders.

I loved la BBQ too! We showed up there at about 1300 and were eating in 15 minutes.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
gtr

I think La Barbecue is owned by someone from the Mueller family and I think the pitmaster used to work at Franklin's, so it seems to me that it would be awesome. I definitely want to check it out next time I go to Austin. And after looking at cazzy's pix I may have to move that time up a little sooner.
WTFWGALD?
Old 04-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #11
cazzy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I think La Barbecue is owned by someone from the Mueller family and I think the pitmaster used to work at Franklin's, so it seems to me that it would be awesome. I definitely want to check it out next time I go to Austin. And after looking at cazzy's pix I may have to move that time up a little sooner.
You are correct! LeAnn Mueller, daughter of the late and great Bobby Mueller...sister to Wayne and John. John Lewis (part owner) is the Pit Master, and he was part of the original Franklin Barbecue trailer crew. He was Aaron's right hand at both locations from 2009-2012.
cazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Officially going into a Meat Coma.

That was fantastic
Old 04-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
gtr

What all did you get?
WTFWGALD?