Tony Chacheres injectable marinade

A work in progress. I started with straight sunflower oil and quickly noticed all my spices would sink to the bottom Then I thought wow he must have some really ground fine spices. Tony's version you can barley see any spices in it except the red pepper. I'm starting to think his product is simply an infused oil (cook spices in the oil and then strain) Make sense guys? I'm thinking the little water they use is to dissolve the salt as salt is not an oily spice and will not infuse in oil.I'm am surprisingly close to the flavor profile.
How long do you think I should simmer the spices in the oil to infuse it? Any ideas

I would say that when the color looks right you are probably there.

I have six various bottles of Tony's Injector on the shelf in the cupboard as I type this.... It's the only injector I have used in years. That goes for the Tony's Cajun Seasoning as well. I'm considering using the Tony's Cajun Seasoning as a Rib Rub next Wednesday...

I have six various bottles of Tony's Injector on the shelf in the cupboard as I type this.... It's the only injector I have used in years. That goes for the Tony's Cajun Seasoning as well. I'm considering using the Tony's Cajun Seasoning as a Rib Rub next Wednesday...

I love it on ribs! Just remember that its more of a seasoned salt. I've seen a lot of food ruined by people applying Tony's as heavy as you would a rub.

Hi Q-Dat, What you said makes sense. I had not though of the large amount of salt I would have applied as a rub.. Well, back to the drawing board.... thanks....

Hi Q-Dat, What you said makes sense. I had not though of the large amount of salt I would have applied as a rub.. Well, back to the drawing board.... thanks....

I have used it like a rub but you use it as a base. Try 1 part Tony's, 1 part sugar, and 1 part a mixture of other things like onion, garlic, chili powder, and paprika.

yeah for ribs, a good combo is brown sugar base and tony's. I would say add a dash of paprika to add a little more redish to the rub but be careful paprika is pepper based.
As everyone has said go easy the the Tony's because it can easily over power stuff.

still a work in progress on the injection. I can't find my mortar and pestle but I want to grind the spices up more to release more of the oils to infuse into the sunflower oil.

I love it on ribs! Just remember that its more of a seasoned salt. I've seen a lot of food ruined by people applying Tony's as heavy as you would a rub.

Exactly.

I ruined three slabs of ribs one day by coating on the Bad Byron's Butt Rub like it was a rib rub.

Couldn't eat them.

A light dusting would have been all that was needed. I goofed and went heavy handed.

They do make a light version, it cuts the sodium level from 310mg per 1/4 tsp down to 110mg

Back